Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone uses equipment other than a helmet and gloves when riding their bikes. I use elbow pads and knee pads as well as a mouth guard (because I have read of their benefits for preventing concussions as well as dental injuries) in addition to a helmet and gloves. I don't find any of it uncomfortable and I actually enjoy riding more because I know for the areas where I ride, mainly local streets, parks and bike paths, I'm pretty well protected from being injured if I fall.

Does any one else wear pads? I always feel as if I'm in a small minority but I can't see taking a chance for injury when it's so easy to reduce the risk.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The mouth guard maybe something Id consider, but I don't wear much else (ocassionally gloves but mainly when I am on the road bike) other than a helmet. I never go anywhere without that, and now my Road ID.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just wondering if anyone uses equipment other than a helmet and gloves when riding their bikes. I use elbow pads and knee pads as well as a mouth guard (because I have read of their benefits for preventing concussions as well as dental injuries) in addition to a helmet and gloves. I don't find any of it uncomfortable and I actually enjoy riding more because I know for the areas where I ride, mainly local streets, parks and bike paths, I'm pretty well protected from being injured if I fall.

Does any one else wear pads? I always feel as if I'm in a small minority but I can't see taking a chance for injury when it's so easy to reduce the risk.
Please tell me that you are not serious. About the only piece of equipment that you use that I'd even remotely consider using is the mouthguard. And uh, you do know, do you not that in any crash involving high speeds that your helmet isn't going to do you a bit of good? You are also aware that there are now studies that are showing that wearing a helmet may actually make most crashes worse than if one was NOT wearing a helmet.

The only "safety" equipment that I use is as follows:

• helmet
  • gloves
  • 3 headlights (Cateye Unos), two that are mounted on the handlebars and a third that is mounted on my helmet
  • two taillights, again one (a Planet Bike Superflash mounted on my helmet, and a Cateye 5-LED mounted on my pannier rack)
  • a rearview mirror mounted to my helmet

No knee pads, no elbow pads, no mouth guard, no mountain bike/BMX padding. How do knee/elbow pads and a mouth guard "protect" against a concussion?

Do you get laughed at/made fun of at the local parks, bike paths, as well as on the local roads?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
Most times a helmet but sometimes not even that. Gloves sometimes on longer rides. I don't feel a need really but wear whatever ya like and keep on ridin'. 8)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Just helmet, gloves and eye protection here. If the other stuff makes you feel better then I say go for it.

·
173 Posts
Safety equip. has become, Big Business, with lots of hype, IMO. I agree there are some
safety gear that should be worn, most of it needs improvement to be safer.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Don't totally disagree with you worthlees. There is lots of hype, some justified and some not. Yes it could all be better, but if it helps that is better than nothing. Far be it from me to tell anyone what they should and should not wear. It's there choice and their body. They have to live or not live with the results of a crash. It's called personal responsibility and I think most would likely feel that its best to let the individual make their own choices in safety gear. IF Digital Cowboy wants to go without a helmet, that's fine. I also remember people saying that seat belts could cost lives too by being trapped in a burning car and not being able to get the belt off. While its true that happens, the odds are vastly greater that the seat belt will help not hurt. Just as the odds are vastly greater that a helmet will help and not hurt, but the only thing I really don't think was appropriate was making fun of the OP for wearing gear he didn't think was necessary. That is not what this group has been about or should be.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Slightly off topic, but still related to safety equipment.

Heard on the news last night that somewhere in upstate New York I believe, a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws died after he flipped over the bike’s handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I heard that too. Sad but their choice, their decision. Freedom means having the ability to make what others think is a mistake. Let's hope the family and friend find some peace and good can come from the tragedy in some way.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't totally disagree with you worthlees. There is lots of hype, some justified and some not. Yes it could all be better, but if it helps that is better than nothing. Far be it from me to tell anyone what they should and should not wear. It's there choice and their body. They have to live or not live with the results of a crash. It's called personal responsibility and I think most would likely feel that its best to let the individual make their own choices in safety gear. IF Digital Cowboy wants to go without a helmet, that's fine. I also remember people saying that seat belts could cost lives too by being trapped in a burning car and not being able to get the belt off. While its true that happens, the odds are vastly greater that the seat belt will help not hurt. Just as the odds are vastly greater that a helmet will help and not hurt, but the only thing I really don't think was appropriate was making fun of the OP for wearing gear he didn't think was necessary. That is not what this group has been about or should be.
True, but I think that my question is still valid. How does using a mouth guard as well as knee & elbow pads prevent a concussion? Which is one of the claims that the OP has made.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Slightly off topic, but still related to safety equipment.

Heard on the news last night that somewhere in upstate New York I believe, a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws died after he flipped over the bike’s handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
Yep, I read about that at another web site. And the irony is that the ER doctors said that if this organ donor had been wearing a helmet he'd still be alive today. I can't help but wonder what he buddies reaction was to that statement?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Studies done for football, and IIRC sponsored by the NFL in an attempt to reduce concussions from the impacts there, found that the impact of the teeth banging together transfer energy to other parts of the skull leading to an increased concussion risk. With a mouth guard that hit to the jaw has something to cushion the impact and dissipate energy. Will it stop them all? Of course not and in some impacts it might not even help. However if the impact point is the jaw, there is some evidence that goes a long way in preventing concussions. Football has a lot of impacts that are more like a boxers upper cut. I would suspect that a mouth guard would be more effective there. A jaw first impact it should still provide some protection. At the very least it should help prevent dental injury and that's not a small issue if you have to pay for it out of pocket. A good mouth guard is far cheaper than dental surgery. I am not doctor, and don't play one on tv, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either, but I have read enough to know the OP had sound logic behind the choice to wear one even if all the facts are not totally understood. (or at least not by me)

I don't wear one, but that I can see no harm in doing so. It would certainly be a reasonable precaution. The other gear I don't feel the need for here. I am in Texas though and in the summer time for a ride of any distance that kind of equipment has a trade off in heat. For me the heat is a greater risk than the injuries that gear would be likely to protect me from. Yet I am not in the OP saddle. They are the ones that should use good judgement and common sense as to what is right for them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Studies done for football, and IIRC sponsored by the NFL in an attempt to reduce concussions from the impacts there, found that the impact of the teeth banging together transfer energy to other parts of the skull leading to an increased concussion risk. With a mouth guard that hit to the jaw has something to cushion the impact and dissipate energy. Will it stop them all? Of course not and in some impacts it might not even help. However if the impact point is the jaw, there is some evidence that goes a long way in preventing concussions. Football has a lot of impacts that are more like a boxers upper cut. I would suspect that a mouth guard would be more effective there. A jaw first impact it should still provide some protection. At the very least it should help prevent dental injury and that's not a small issue if you have to pay for it out of pocket. A good mouth guard is far cheaper than dental surgery. I am not doctor, and don't play one on tv, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either, but I have read enough to know the OP had sound logic behind the choice to wear one even if all the facts are not totally understood. (or at least not by me)

I don't wear one, but that I can see no harm in doing so. It would certainly be a reasonable precaution. The other gear I don't feel the need for here. I am in Texas though and in the summer time for a ride of any distance that kind of equipment has a trade off in heat. For me the heat is a greater risk than the injuries that gear would be likely to protect me from. Yet I am not in the OP saddle. They are the ones that should use good judgement and common sense as to what is right for them.
Your logic on the mouth guard makes a degree of sense as also seen by the fact that boxers and presumably MMA wear some sort of mouth guard. But from the way the OP's post read (at least to me) it seemed as if the OP was attributing concussion protection to the knee/elbow pads as well as to the mouth guard.

If I misread the OP's post I apologize. But that's the way that it read to me.

Living in Florida I have to agree with you that the heat vs. protection trade off doesn't justify wearing elbow/knee pads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wear a helmet, gloves and have my rearview mirror on my handbars. If it's before sunrise or after sunset, I have my head & tail lights. Other than that, no other equipment. Well, unless you count my bags and panniers. :)

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
Bike safety equipment FAIL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Helmet...and getting a mirror soon cuz my neck doesn't like to turn around to see what is coming from behind.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Just wondering if anyone uses equipment other than a helmet and gloves when riding their bikes.
Road: helmet, gloves, & glasses (usually) I have been know to just jump on a bike and ride with no protective gear whatsoever, but if I'm on a road ride, I wear the aforementioned.

Mtn: helmet, gloves, glasses, & Camelbak. A Camelbak is really not protective gear, but I have gone OTB many times and landed on it, so I'll include it here.

Mtn-lift assisted: Full face carbon fiber helmet, glasses or goggles, full body armor, padded shorts, & gloves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts