Salutations

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Coprinus, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Coprinus

Coprinus Guest

Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum.
    I've been a cyclist for as long as I can remember.

My first ride was a Big Wheels - Dukes of Hazard style - and I loved it! I used to spend all of my free time on that thing.

Then I had the obligatory Huffy "BMX" which I actually still have, plastic pedals and all...

In high school I dated this girl that lived across town, so I learned how to pilot my dad's old Fiji 10 speed. That was when I really started to appreciate the elegant mechanical beauty of the machine.

Since then I've been a courier, using modified load-carrying bikes like this:

[​IMG]

That was a job, I'll tell ya!

Now I'm older, and I rotate between a trusty old Bianchi Champione d'Italia, a Vision SWB recumbent, and my latest love affair, a Surly Steamroller fixie.

Right now I ride around East Lansing, MI - Not a bad area for a roadie like me.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Ahhhh....I remember the Dukes of Hazzard Big Wheel very well. I especially loved the handbrake on the rear wheel! Think toys today would purposely allow the kid to put them into a spin?

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you put it into a spin in the dirt, does it sound like the General Lee?

4. Coprinus

Coprinus Guest

The backspins were awesome, but we used to build plywood ramps and get air over a row of toy cars - YEEE HAAA!

5. Xela

Found a pic of me on one of my Big Wheels. Click on the thumbnail for a bigger view.

10.jpg

Think I need some of those streamers for my road bike!

6. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

That's a kickin ride, Xela.

What's weird is the front fork looks like it's spun backwards, showing the molding, but the handlebars are straight.

oh well.

7. Xela

You're right. Have to ask my dad about that one, as he was the "mechanic."

8. Coprinus

Coprinus Guest

Man, this all takes me back... I'm jonesing for a Big Wheels ride!

9. BanTamStoWay

BanTamStoWay Guest

Sweet! Welcome aboard man!

10. hewlett

hewlett Guest

Hey! It's good to have ya!

11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Coprinus, what type of job did you have that you rode the pictured bike? How was the box set up fopr securing the load? Did you ever have the load shift and wreck you? I am looking at it and trying to figure out the steering. Is it the bars running up the side of the bottom bar attached to the sides of the fork, sort of hard to see.

On another note. I am seeing a small niche market for adult big wheels. Bigger, longer, better seat. 29er front wheel. Solid hard plastic rear wheels with the hand brake for spins. Geared front tire for increased speed with freewheel hub and a disc brake. Yep that would be fun, how much are you willing to pay for one.

The above mentioned adult big wheel, is patent pending, so you will have to pay me if you steal my design. :D

12. Xela

Since we previously talked about our love of Big Wheels on this posting, I thought I'd show a pic of the shirt my wife got me. Love it!

DSC05169.jpg

13. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Yeah I remember my Knight Rider Big Wheel and doing some awesome power slides on it!

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I miss Big Wheels, first real taste of freedom, when I was 5. Ahh, nostalgia.

15. Xela

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Well kids, it was a good run, but dark market forces are acting against us. Slowly over the last 2 years, almost all of the metal frame Big Wheels have been removed from the market. There used to be over 10 different models out there, now there's just 1 that will only sell to mass market stores.

Looks like they're going out of business Xela.

17. Xela

Saw that, but it was the only site I found (albeit I didn't spend much time) that showed the concept. Sounds like it's a good time for Grape to come out with his design.

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I agree, Grape the market is ready for you.