San Marcos Freeride Skills Park and Trailsystem: Up for Consideration!

Discussion in 'Texas Bike Forum' started by Xterrain, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

Just wanted to let ya'll know that tonight I recieved an email I've been waiting on for months! My proposal for a Freeride Skills Park and a more technical 11 mile loop encompassing Dante's Trail at Upper Purgatory Creek in San Marcos, are up for consideration! Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TXPWD) and San Marcos Parks and Recreation (SMPR) are now involved in a 4 way email session with myself and the director of the San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance (SMGA) concerning my proposals. I have been asked to create sketches and a sustainability report over the next two weeks while TXPWD have their archeologists survey the area so that they can provide us with a basic do's and dont's list before the possible construction starting!

Everything's looking promising so I'll definitely keep everyone tuned into the developments. I have been working with the SMGA since March so this is actually coming along quite quickly. I will be calling for volunteers all over the area to get this done quickly so that the wave of hype thats beginning to develop isn't overshadowed by extremely long waiting period for it to be completed.

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Is this the Recreation area off Prospect?

3. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

Yes and no. The area I am aiming at specifically is just to the NW of Prospect. The entry is off of Franklin St. and its classified as Upper Purgatory Creek. Prospect is part of Lower Purgatory Creek. For basic park information, including all of the San Marcos Greenbelt, see:

San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance Conserving Texas Natural Areas

Here is a map to help orient everyone. #1 is Upper Purgatory.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  4. Keith

Keith New Member

So is there already an entrance off Franklin to the Upper? Very cool for getting involved with this. Glad you posted here, didn't even know there was anything in the works, we often take the dogs and kiddo to Prospect.

5. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

Thanks! Yes, there is a nice flowy loop that gets technical in some sections but flows very well!When you get to the end of Franklin follow the dirt road towards the right. Stay on it across the Wonderworld extension construction area, stay on it and you will eventually come to the parking area that is now fenced off.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. Keith

Keith New Member

Never knew there was a Franklin entrance. I even live on Franklin go figure!

Thanks again for all the information, just donated $100 to SMGA.

7. mike_g

mike_g Guest

Awesome to see people out there making a difference! Right on, man!!

8. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

Keith, great to have you be a part of SMGA! Thanks for the donation, sign up for the newsletter so you can help some of the folks out on Thursday mornings for trail maintenance days!

9. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

Just wanted to let all of you know how much of a pain in my ass this all is! Once its all finalized, approved (fingers crossed), and built you had all better enjoy the heck out of it! :)

10. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

Sorry for the late update guys. I was in a crappy motorcycle accident a couple weeks ago. So in light of physical therapy, work, and school I fear I don't have enough energy to do it all on my own anymore.

Anyone with some artistic skill please get in touch with me via email: [email protected]

I want to continue working on this project, but from the sidelines for a bit. I have resources set aside in terms of lumbar at my house and natural cedar logs at a friends house closer to the park. I also am in contact with the owner of 'The Land' freeride park/project in upstate New York; we've been trying to get some time on the phone to talk about problems that could arise and what he faced with building his park.

Anyhow, I am asking for help, INCLUDING help from the IMBA; hopefully someone from there is a local freerider and will help out.