Santos Tour Down Under 2018

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by rola643, Jan 1, 2018.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

Hazy, fpl1 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  2. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I hope I get to watch some of this.
    I'll need to check my smart tv and television apps to see if it's something I get.

fpl1 and rola643 like this.

3. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

So I wonder if I can have the gold pass added to my Directv package? These races are always on the guide but blacked out if you aren't paying for them. I'm going to work on that. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm so ready to watch some racing too. Always fun to see riders who have moved around and the new team rosters.

rola643 likes this.
  4. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I think Katusha is going to be a force to be reckoned with this year. Alexander Kristoff out, Kittel in!

Hazy and fpl1 like this.
  5. fpl1

^I think you are right. If he stays healthy and mentally engaged he is a beast.

Looks like I am going to have to buy the NBC sports gold cycling package for $30 to get a lot of the races this year. Sucks I can't get it through my cable provider. Hopefully I can figure out a way to still stream it through my TV. Can't wait for the TDU.

6. kneedrachen

Or stream it via Eurosport

7. rola643

Don't you have to pay for that? I've tried in the past and it's either been in French or German and...glitchy at best.

If there's a better way PLEASE post it here!

fpl1 likes this.
  8. rola643

9. fpl1

Cool. Lotto Soudal, bmc and Bora should have some good sprint battles. I wonder if cav will be there for dimension data?

I ended up paying a $29 subscription fee. Looks like I can watch it on my TVs web browser - hopefully.

rola643 and kneedrachen like this.
  10. rola643

11. rola643

Checking back with MSNBC, it doesn't look like they will broadcast this in network TV after all. Also look like the way they run their subscription times is screwing somebody like me if I opted to get it now. Check it out.. They run from July 1, 17 - June 27, 18 right before the TDF starts so if you want to see all the races you end up paying 60 bucks a year.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 5.40.57 AM.png

fpl1 likes this.
  12. fpl1

Yep. I noticed that but went ahead and bought it anyways. I guess with the amount of races they will broadcast it’s not that much money when you break it down by race. At least that thought made me feel better

kneedrachen likes this.
  13. rola643

That is total BS and I will most likely not subscribe and only use the TDU app. Just what cycling needed, less coverage and then PAY for it....It really does piss me off.

robkyle likes this.
  14. kneedrachen

15. kneedrachen

16. rola643

This...bums me out. I broke down and let NBC win.
    fullsizeoutput_306.jpeg

fpl1 likes this.
  17. fpl1

Sometimes you just have to take it and do what you have to do.

kneedrachen and rola643 like this.
  18. kneedrachen

Kinda like in prison and you have to shower and the boss of the cell block is there and he looks at you and. . . . .

That's how i feel about TV/cable companies (sorry for your professional status, rola.)

19. rola643

Seems to me the problem with this is, you're already paying a provider and in NBC's case it's already owned by Xfinity/Comcast and now they have found a way to nickel and dime us to death. You pay a premium for ESPN and it's the highest per channel that any provider pays per sub wether it's a dish or cable provider. The last time I was shown the number ESPN was right at $5.00 per sub vs $1.00 or less for other broadcast services.
    ( In the end if I stick around long enough we'll all work for Xfinity :))

Even if you're a cord cutter you're paying a provider whether it's AT&T, VZN or you local ISP to access the nets and then stream stuff like this.

I'm already paying a nice price for the MLB package every summer and if you want hockey same applies. Might as well throw the NFL Red Zone in the mix to.

I/we can still get golf free, why is that???? They even have there own channel now too

My point is, soon you'll/we'll be paying each game as if you attended it in person at the rate and direction all this is moving.

20. kneedrachen

Honestly, I'd prefer some sort of a la carte option. I do not watch hockey or basketball, and my wife only watched the NYY and NYJ. I'd rather only pay for what I want to see than stuff I'll never watch.

We have Fios now after the suck that is Comcast/Xfinity customer service, but Comcast did have better options for NBC sports/Eurosport. Fios has some catching up to do (but the battery back up for the modem/router is a blessing during power outages.)