Saturday at Simi (11/14/09) Extreme Mountain Unicycing!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by unigeezer, Nov 14, 2009.

1. unigeezer

unigeezer Over 50 and not '2' tired

really fun day at the Simi Valley Trail today! Met some cool mountain bikers and two of them even helped me with a little fun skit at the end (after credits)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu5yyMKfkA8]YouTube - UniGeezer: "Got MUni?"[/ame]

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Nice video. Now jump on the 23 and head over towards Chesebro/Palo Comado and make me homesick.

3. unigeezer

"the 23"? Is that a train? And is the trail you mention very technical? Where is it and do you have a link to stats of it?

4. Industry_Hack

It's a freeway. It takes you out of Simi Valley, which used to be a good thing, but now that Thousand Oaks is the new San Fernando Valley, it's more of the same.

Anyway, if you get off the 101 at Kanan and make a left, (I know, who would have thought it goes someplace besides the beach?) you can probably find your way to Chesebro Canyon. Lots of excellent trails with good technical sections.

5. unigeezer

Ok, lol. I haven't heard of the 23 frwy-and I've lived in LA for 50 years! :eek: But yeah, I know of those trails, like Sycamore canyon up there I think. I also love the trails in Santa Barbara, Aliso Viejo, Poway, S. Diego and lots more. I've done Noble canyon also and that's one of my all-time favs!

Thanks for the info!

6. Industry_Hack

Sycamore goes from PCH to Newbury Park, and is father north, unless you're coming from PCH. If you're heading north from LA via the 101, Chesebro is on the east side. And well worth the trip.

Check with the North Ranch MTB club for more info.

7. mtbross

mtbross Guest

Smokin!!!! I want to do Hummingbird one day. Just learning but I'll get there!

8. unigeezer

Thanks for the info!

Yeah it's a great trail, although short. Tomorrow (Saturday) I'll be riding "Chumash" for the first time; it parallels Hbird and is also very technical in sections, and about 2.5 miles long. Lots of mtbers do that first going to the top, then hang a right for about 3 miles and drop in at Hbird.

9. mtbross

mtbross Guest

Nice...my bike club (OTB) does our annual Thanksgiving ride out there....We start at the freeway off ramp, ride down the road then back up Johnson trail, over to then down Hummingbird, over to and up Chumash, then back down Johnson and up to the cars. Works up a good appetite and is a lot of fun.

I've just had the Muni about 4 weeks, and am able to free mount and do some turns. I've been practicing on the trails above Studio City. Just starting to get in little runs up and down some very moderate trails and loving it. Even the easiest trail on the bike is so challenging on the uni.

Couple of my friends from OTB rode their uni's down Suicide so I figure they could handle Hummingbird and Chumash too. Next time I see them I'll tell them about this site.

Have fun tomorrow!