Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After working out Friday I was standing in front of the mirror applying sunscreen over my PDT skin. I noticed I have over a dozen scars scattered over my body.

I don't mean the scratches that come from pavement burn. I mean those that came from life events and range from an inch or so to several inches. Have I been unusually prone to injury and disease? Trophies, or badges of clumsiness?

What about you?

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
I have so many broken bones, pins, titanium rods, scars, stitches and surgeries I'm not even sure where to start :) Mostly from the days of my youth from either hockey or motocross mainly :)

The rod in my leg from my knee to just above my ankle came from burning a pole at work and failing to be able to fly like super man other than the 30 feet nor so straight down :)

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Not many here. L4-L5 fusion scar. When I was in high school woodshop, I put a board in the planer the wrong way and almost lost a couple of finger, which gives me a distinctive fingerprint. Broke one toe showing my son how to do handstands. That's about it, except for some residue from removed basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
Two open heart surgeries right down the front almost 10". Broken knee cap R. Cross bone broken leg R. Several broken fingers and a few toes. At least three good concussions...... who knows, maybe more. My memory isn't that good. Several road rashes starting around 40 years ago.
Nearly each one with a clear memory I'd like to forget.
And my favorite, I three inch scar on my rear from a sleigh riding accident from the first sleigh ride my oldest boy ever took with me.
I'd trade IT for nothing.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,288 Posts
Assorted scars on ankles, knees, shins from skateboarding and bmx. Cut at work on left forearm 4". 2 forearm length scars or right forearm from compound break which required plates and screws. Chainring gouge on back of rt calf which looks like muffler burn due to all the skin it peeled off. A couple from double hernia surgery. Spots on back, shoulder and nose from basal cell being removed.......right now though, the biggest 2 I have are on the inside from recent passing of my beloved mother and the troubles one of my kids is wrestling with finding her way in life.

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
.......right now though, the biggest 2 I have are on the inside from recent passing of my beloved mother and the troubles one of my kids is wrestling with finding her way in life.
Those are the toughest to deal with, my condolences to you and your family

·
1,084 Posts
I've got pins/plates/screws and other foreign things permanently holding several major bones together, and lots of scars.

misspent youth playing hockey and acting a general fool.

I've broken at least one of most major bones at some point in my life, but have somehow managed to not wind up with a lot of damage to my face or head.

I mark myself lucky that i made it past 18, let alone to almost 33....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you about the struggles and scars coming from coping with life. It is so easy to get lost in the negative part of that. We even give up our right to live in the quest to be safe and happy.

But the reality is there is no safety and happiness is a mental resilience that never forgets the good things and never stops rising to the challenge.

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
Almost all my scars are on my knees from falling with the bike. Some are scars over scars.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,288 Posts
But the reality is there is only safety and happiness in a mental resilience that never forgets the good things and never stops rising to the challenge.
There, fixed it for ya...At least I think this is what you meant. :D

Yes, my wall of self-preservation keeps me getting up every day, going to work, handling my business, loving my wife, living my life & containing sorrow and stress in it's own separate place that may make me care a little less about other things for awhile but will not break me........even tho the 2 things in that separate place are very hard to keep a lid on.

Physical scars...meh, who cares, I'm already ugly, more scars or not having any wouldn't change that anyway. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear you about the struggles and scars coming from coping with life. It is so easy to get lost in the negative part of that. We even give up our right to live in the quest to be safe and happy.

But the reality is there is no safety and happiness is a mental resilience that never forgets the good things and never stops rising to the challenge.
There, fixed it for ya...At least I think this is what you meant. :D

Yes, my wall of self-preservation keeps me getting up every day, going to work, handling my business, loving my wife, living my life & containing sorrow and stress in it's own separate place that may make me care a little less about other things for awhile but will not break me........even tho the 2 things in that separate place are very hard to keep a lid on.

Physical scars...meh, who cares, I'm already ugly, more scars or not having any wouldn't change that anyway. :D
Good Intentions I think. But, no, what you changed to is not what I meant.

I meant the world is a dangerous place. There is no protection from the physical and mental assaults of this dangerous world. Government and others may say they will protect you. But, they can't. We may give up the ability to protect ourselves for a promise others will come to our aid. They won't be there timely when you need them the most.

Disappointments in family and friends due to their choices and challenges are sure to occur. Nothing to protect yourself from them,

It is in each person's own mental and physical strength and resilience where refuge and coping is found. No protection, just coping. The Army motto is appropriate: Adapt and Overcome.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started thinking only about physical scars. But, mental is just as appropriate. Actually mental is probably more important than physical.

When two people look at a brilliant, multi-colored sunset one says "my isn't that beautiful". The other says "look at all the air pollution that causes those colors." A matter of knowledge and mental attitude.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just two good ones for me. One on my elbow from a fractured ulna, and a small one on my shoulder from a basil cell removed...Kinda looks like a scorpion!!!

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,288 Posts
ooo, scar pictures, kinda like cloud formations...........what does this one look like? It buffed right out, can't even tell it even happened now...........any believers?

Attachments

·
1,084 Posts
ooo, scar pictures, kinda like cloud formations...........what does this one look like? It buffed right out, can't even tell it even happened now...........any believers?
looks like melanoma removal.

and I'd believe it went away.... faces tend to heal pretty well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.