Scattante XRL Team Frames?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by infinitemass, Jun 24, 2010.

1. infinitemass

infinitemass New Member

Hi all! My beloved 1993 Trek 2100 frame is starting to crack around the seat post clamp and being a rider on a tight budget, I came across the Scattante frames. Geometry and price are right but have never heard of them.

Anybody have any luck with them, good or bad?
    Thanks.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

That's a house brand for Performance, isn't it? I know some of their bikes use Kinesis tubing sets, and they may be made in one of Giant's factories. You probably can't go wrong for the price. Which one were you looking at?

3. infinitemass

infinitemass New Member

Thanks for the reply! The one I was looking at was the XRL Team with the carbon fiber seat stays. At $329 for frame, fork and headset, it seems quite the deal.

4. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

Two of the best riders I know ride Scat bikes. These guys are superfast as well as great climbers. I've done some big group rides on mountin roads with one of the guys. He killed everybody, including those talking trash about their suprlight climbers!:D

Scattante have ben around for a long time now. The were sold at Supergo long before Performance took over.

5. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

Yep - Performance house frames. Popular down here in Austin. Haven't ridden one myself but seem them out a bunch.

6. infinitemass

infinitemass New Member

Ace,Jad,
    Thanks for the replies! Looks like nothing but good things about these frames.

7. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

@infinitemass - did you take the leap?

8. infinitemass

infinitemass New Member

Not yet. Doing some side jobs for neighbours to fund it so Wife doeant freak.:)

9. Texasbikeguy

Texasbikeguy New Member

Scat makes a decent frame but generally STAY AWAY from the shitty components (SRAM) Performance throws on them. SRAM is ok on upper end but it is an asian company that spits out low end crap as fast as possible. IMHO spend your money on decent components, I choose Shimano (japanese). SRAM has not had the credibility and long standing quality of a companty like Shimano......

10. Industry_Hack

You're funny!

11. Texasbikeguy

Texasbikeguy New Member

IH, (not sure how to take that so..)
    Well you may be some kind of expert but I raced for over 12 years. Low end SRAM sucks. I don't care if you disagree with me or think that is 'funny', The poster ASKED for opinions and I gave mine. Please feel free to give the expert advice you have. I gave my tiny little 2 cents.

12. Industry_Hack

Shimano is an Asian company that spits out low end crap as fast as possible. For example, Sora, 2200, Acera, Altus, and Tourney. Further, Shimano's biggest factories are in Kunshan, China, Malaysia, and Singapore.

13. Texasbikeguy

Texasbikeguy New Member

Shimano has a set standard sir. You ignored the fact I said high end SRAM is fine but even low end shimano is better than the bullshit SRAM throws out at the low end. You can waste your money on it, but I won't. I shredded a BB in two weeks of racing and it was a SRAM product, and two mechs said the same thing..stay away from low end SRAM. Shimano has a standard they go by that is much higher (IMHO) than SRAM. Now does that measn low end anything performs the best? Of course not. look you win. I never came here to have an internet dick measuring contest ok? Go waste your money on what you like and I'll worry about me.

14. infinitemass

infinitemass New Member

Update: Thanks guys for the info but it looks like it would be a lot cheaper to just get a new bike and put the old girl on the trainer. My Trek is old enough that it has downtube shifters and a 7 speed cassette. To change those out
    and buy a new frame it would put me way over budget. Now looking at the Motobecane Grand Record from Bikesdirect. For 600 bucks I can get into this decade. Whatcha think?

15. Industry_Hack

I like BD bikes. Good value.

16. Texasbikeguy

Texasbikeguy New Member

My .02 on BD.

1) A Texas owned company, so yes I like that.
    2) Again pay attention to components.....
    3) The advantage of buying from people like BD is for obvious reason, low price.
    The drawbacks:
    1) Having NOT riddent the bike you buy makes a great deal of difference. You could find as was in my case, (A Giant Defy) that I did not like the feel or fit of the ride.
    2) Buying from internet sites like BD can cause minor problems say over warranty issues, not saying it would def cause a problem, but that variable goes up.
    For anywhere from 100-200 dollars more you can find a really good deal sometimes at Local Bike Shops..and of course in situations like closing out last years leftovers, you can in fact find even better deals or find negotiation is possible on final price.
    Also buying from an LBS you get a loyalty factor in terms of repairs and occasional perks simply from buying from a local dealer.

Here is another sire that is an offspring of BD
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  17. Industry_Hack

You don't necessarily get perks from your LBS. One shop near me is hopeless, the other is pretty decent.

18. Texasbikeguy

Texasbikeguy New Member

Generally speaking you do. What's your dealio? Everything I post you tend to disagree with.
    Whatever.

19. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I am just curious for my personal info. where low end SRAM stats ?

20. Industry_Hack

I brought my $8k+ tandem to one of the local shops, because I needed to fit a rear rack. Instead of ordering the clamps for me, they suggested I go to the hardware store and buy some flat stock, then bend to fit. This guy has two locations, but can't even keep the basics in stock. It's one of those "boutique" shops run by idiots.

My point is that buying locally doesn't automatically equal quality service. It's not about disagreeing with you.