School Me on Trek

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by funetical, Mar 22, 2010.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

My father in law just called and says he's got a Trek road bike, old as dirt but in great shape. He said it needs work. I've built my one bike and that wasn't to bad but I'm thinking maybe this one is going to be a fixed gear. Any body have any complaints about Trek? I don't want to pump money into this thing to find out they regularly explode for no reason.

2. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

My Trek 700 has been going for years and years now. I have no complaints.

3. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

from what I've heard... no complaints. (but that's what Toyota says, too...)

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

True. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. This should be interesting.

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

The only complaints I have seen about Trek seem to be about the company itself. "Large Corporation" type complaints. One thing I can say about the company; I have had several buddies that have had great experiences with their warranty programs. But I guess that is off topic considering your original question seems to be more about Trek's safety and build quality. Never heard anything bad about their bikes. I have a Trek road and mountain bike that I really enjoy.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

What model? The older steel ones are sought-after. I had an aluminum 1200 around 1990, and it was a nice enough bike for the price.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Not sure yet. I'll let you know after I pick it up.

8. Industry_Hack

9. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

+1 I'd like to see the find.

10. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

My only real gripe is that there are so many of them. When I visit my old club in Mpls every summer it's like TREK, TREK, Specialized TREK, Canondale, TREK, TREK, TREK, Seven, TREK Lightspeed, TREK.... Can we blame Lance for this? A nice old steel one would be a welcome change though.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I had to pawn my Camera a few months ago and just lost it to the shop. My father in law has one though so I'll get him to take a few pics so I'll see what I can do in getting them posted. I love being asked to fix something or explain it to idiots who shouldn't have the equipment in question. If I'm asked one more time how do I get to my email, I'm going to lose it one him. First you lick all the Cheetos dust off your fingers, second turn it on. It's the button with the power symbol on it. No not that one that opens the CD drive. No not that one either that's not a button.

12. chh55

Had to pawn your camera... and you're about to take on a bike build project... at least you got your priorities straight:D:thumbsup:

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I lost it to pawn before I could get it back. I had to sell it for gas money when my wife needed dental work a few months back. Being uninsured in America blows. Wisdom teeth removal cost me a few grand, ate my savings and left us without much for a long time. My company doesn't offer health insurance, she's a stay at home mom. I'm just now to the point where I'm starting to rebuild my savings. The bike came along unexpectedly so... got to take it while it's there. I have my priorities straight. Unfortunately they're always superseded by what ever crisis is next. But then if you don't try you don't get any where. Life keeps knocking us down, we keep getting back up again. Seems like progress to me, chronologically at least.

14. Industry_Hack

Uh, being insured in America sucks too. Did you know that 75% of Americans that file bankruptcy due to medical bills had insurance?

15. chh55

With all that hanging over us can we look upon our beloved hobby as anything but pure escapism ? (as my wife ademently insists). At least it is relatively healthy I add. I raise the issue since it was the source of a grinding discussion (argument) that lasted into the wee hours last night. Ain't life grand?:confused:

16. Industry_Hack

My fiance' thought $400 was a bit steep for a bicycle, but didn't blink when I mentioned that the next motorcycle I wanted was $25k. And we wouldn't dream of spending that on a car.

Women are funny.

17. chh55

Women are funny

:love:Yeah, so how come I'm not laughing 2day?:hate:

18. Industry_Hack

As long as you didn't go to sleep angry, it's all good.

19. chh55

ooops, forgot about that rule.... could explain my current state. I better get that embroidered on my pillowcase.;)

20. Industry_Hack