Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The page isn't valid and the link doesn't work. Yet as a former teacher your question seems to indicate you already have the results and that is not a way to do an impartial and factual finding. Are you going to limit this study to your own local community and if not, have you considered those living in rural areas. In an urban areas it might be possible to make a 20 mile round trip commute, but many rural areas 20 miles might get you to your property line not to work and back. Public transportation outside of the urban areas is extremely limited to non existent. There isn't even a cab in my neighborhood and I am not that far out of town.

You want to commute to work, but how many occupations require the use of that gas guzzler during working hours? That lawyer that can commute to work by bike, also will have to go to the courthouse and other places from time to time as a part of the job. That 15 mile ride to the courthouse could be done on a bike maybe, but thats an hour there and an hour back every time they do it. Even a cheap lawyer is a few hundred an hour and two hours of billable time can buy an awful lot of gas for that gas guzzler. Time is money.

Then there are the guys that must carry a lot around with them to do their jobs. The last plumber I called had a $150 call out fee, and I think it was about $75 an hour or so not to mention the amount things that simply would not fit on anything people powered and trust me with plumbing you always need something that you don't have and thats another hour to the hardware store to get it and maybe an hour there and back.

Then there are things that are time sensitive. Outside of a few areas where bike messagers are actually faster, if the computer repair man I hired to show up to fix a down piece of equipment that was costing me money while down, and they showed up on a bike, they would be fired on the spot unless they were EXTREMELY close.

You wouldn't be paying for gas, but you would be paying much more in lost time and revenue. Do an honest cost study and see how it works out.

Then there is the weather. Might be good year round where you are, but have you ever been in the midwest in the winter? I know a few guys here put studs in their tires to ride on ice and snow, but the risks are high and in some places they may not be allowed. One morning I had to get the wife to work in weather that was 20 degrees below and a 30 knot wind. Wind chill was about 55 degrees below, and that wouldn't have included the wind from the bike movement. Other places deal with large volumes of rain in the winter and although not as cold hypothermia is a real concern. In the summer the reverse can be true and heat stroke is a real threat in the summer time here. We had over 70 days where the highs were over 100 and many nights it didn't make it below 90.

For a few people it can work, and some even live car free but they do so at a price. That 100 mile trip to the beach is now a 5 hour ride and probably and over night trip instead of an hour an a half there, all day and an hour an a half back. To live car free you would effectively live nearly your entire life within a very small radius. If a boss can give you enough time off to make a long trip by bike, they probably do not need you anyway.

I enjoy riding. I have several bikes an really enjoy riding them. They will never be my primary transportation. Its not possible with the distance I deal with on a daily basis. Most are in the same situation. But you might find it interesting to figure out just under what circumstances and how your life would have to be to use that bike to get around.

No this post isn't to tell you what to do on your project. It isn't even to tell you what you should think, but these are some real points you should consider and be ready to discuss and defend whatever conclusion your study ultimately reaches.

·
242 Posts
I have no car and my bike is my primary transportation. at times it's great but others not so great. I hate having to barrow a car or ask someone to take me where I need to go. but love the freedom my bike gives me. and when it's cold and raining I stay home. but in my area normally more times than not if you see someone riding a bike it is because they had a DUI.. and I Hate that people may think that when they see me out riding because it is not the case :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts