Schrader to presta?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by E-Dog, Jul 23, 2010.

1. E-Dog

E-Dog Til' the wheels fall off

Hi all,
    Kind of a noob question (road bikes are new to me), I was wondering if you can put a presta style tube in a rim thats made for schrader style valve?
    Or do I need a new wheelset?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Yes, but you will need an adapter sleeve.
    [​IMG]

3. E-Dog

Nice, thanks!

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

I have both, and other than the presta valves hold pressure better, why would you want to?? Granted I have an air compressor in the garage and I check tire pressure before every ride, so that isn't as big of a deal for me. I end up having to use an adapter to get air in them with a presta valve.

5. E-Dog

You said it yourself, better presure. Also I have two bikes, and I would like to kind of standardize the stuff on both bikes as much as possible. That way when I put a long ride bag together I can have ONE extra tube that will work on both bikes.

6. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

standardization makes perfect sense. I have one bike with both, but unlike you they are never used at the same time. Yes the bag has 2 different tubes, but if I were going to travel a long distance, I d probably pull one out. I just hate the pain of getting air in the presta. Stuck on the road and if you lose your adapter, you are in trouble. I make sure I carry 2 presta adapters

7. hophead

Presta is easier to get air into than Schrader--that is if you are using a bicycle pump. If you are relying on finding a gas station, then yes, Schrader is better.

What do you do if you flat off road or if you are no where near a gas station? Wouldn't it be easier to just carry a mini pump or CO2 inflator?

8. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

If you travel far from home, you might want to consider tube availability in deciding on Schrader vs Presta valves.

My favorite bike came with 26 in wheels drilled for Presta valves. If I'm in a rural area on a weekend and need a tube, that combination just isn't available in a typical Walmart or Target store. I had the wheels drilled for Schrader valves. Now, I can use either valve type in an emergency.

edit: Just check with the wheel manufacturer to ensure that the wheel can handle the larger Schrader hole before drilling it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  9. hophead

One of the many advantages of Presta is that the smaller hole makes a stronger wheel. By drilling it out, you weaken the wheel.

Why not just carry a spare tube and/or a patch kit?

10. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

That's why I added the edit about checking with the manufacturer before enlarging the hole. It looks like the edit went thru just minutes before your post.

I believe you will find that the difference in wheel strength due to valve hole diameter is negligable for most 26 inch wheels. Several can be bought drilled with either size hole. I have not checked specs on 700 c wheels, but I suspect the same is true for the ones designed for wider tires. E.g., many hybrid bikes with 700cx30mm and wider tires come drilled for Schraders.

I believe the significant strength difference arises when the valve hole is large compared to the wheel width, as is the case on wheel sets designed for skinny tires.

I always carry a spare tube and patch kit. If the tube on the bike fails in a way that cannot be patched, e.g. with a valve failure or a blowout, the spare goes on, and I'm without a spare. I'm in trouble if that new tube also fails in a way that can not be patched. It is very comforting (to me at least)to be able to get another spare easily. In many of the rural areas in which I ride, the only place to buy tubes may be a big box store. The ones I've been in do not typically carry 26 inch Presta tubes.

.. and that's why my 26 inch Alex Adventurer 36 hole wheels are now drilled for Schrader valves :)

11. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Almost all the time I am adding air its at home. At home I have an air compressor so I guess my gas station is in the garage. I still carry both a co 2 inflator and a mini pump. I still find the schrader valve easier to get air in, but I don't have a desire to change wheels or drill them out. I just live with the extra time, carry and extra adapter as well though I think both the mini pump and co2 inflator will take presta. I guess I could buy an inflator for the air compressor for the presta, but Id rather spend the money elsewhere.