Schwinn Varsity

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Keith, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Anyone else own one?

Started the project a long time ago but other projects got in the way. Now I can ride to work again I've blown the dust off and started back up.

I've got some serious derailleur issues and not sure where to acquire a replacement.

2. Flatbroke

Flatbroke New Member

most of the smaller older bike shops should have what you need as they seem to store old used parts that are in good condition. if you cant find one locally, two of the shops in my town may have them. Since Swchinn went to the big box companies not too many smaller shops carry the line any more.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

I can't find it locally, tried that route. Local bike shops actually really pissed me off. Went there to have the brake lines redone and they wouldn't touch it. Said it was too much trouble. Both shops.

4. riderman14

riderman14 Guest

i'de retire it if i was you.heavy steel frame and hard to find part??you'll work yourself to death just keeping it rolling.good used bikes are out ther for cheap now that the economy is so bad.just check craigs list in your area and i bet you'll find a good bike for a good deal. ride on

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

You could alway do what I did with my old Schwinn. Yank that succa off!
    [​IMG]

6. riderman14

riderman14 Guest

Nice!!!

that is a nice piece of work there hophead!! if you were here i'de buy you a big cold beer and a shot of your choice! it's always nice to see when people put their heart,and sweat into things like this!! i get friken goose bumps looking at that pict.!! ride on

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Glad ya like it!

I've only got about 100 bucks in it. The frame & fork were free. A friend rescued it from a salvage yard. The most expensive components were the wheels/tires which I picked up at a swap meet for 60 bones. The only problem that I ran into doing the ss conversion, was finding a ss cog for the Campy hub. When I bought the wheel set I did not realize that Campy used a different size freehub than Shimano. The same friend who got me the frame happened to work part time at a bike shop and found one for me. He also gave me the bling pink brake levers.:)

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Can you go into a little detail on the swap. Was it as basic as stripping the gears to a single one or was there some fabrication involved.

9. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

That doesn't look like my old Varsity frame. I got mine (gold metalic) in '72 and it wasn't lugged like yours. It was my first 10 speed and boy was I proud of it. Waxed it constantly. My friends had 'em too in different colors, purple, dark green. Geez they were heavy, wonder if they were made of tubing at all or just one solid chunk of cast iron.

10. I'd keep it. Solid comfortable ride, bulletproof frame even if it is heavy.

eBay always has parts for old Schwinns. Dang near any derailleurs from 1960s through 1980s should work on your bike. There's an online store called schwinnstore run by Craig Morrow. He usually has auctions going too. If you buy anything from him, tell him "The Bicycling Guitarist" sent you!

I like the SunTour V-GT Luxe rear derailleur a LOT. It came stock on my 1977 Sportabout (a poor man's Varsity) but was a superior design to the French-made derailleurs of contemporary higher-priced Schwinns.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  11. orygundustin

orygundustin New Member

Well, there is a Varsity on the medford oregon craigslist right now. $20, needs something that I cant remember, somethin to do with the forks. Didnt look like it was even worth the $20 (to me).