Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching US Pro Challenge or any racing I noticed their seats are higher.
I know the standard for fitting a bike is seat should be level with handlebar stem.
Their seats appear like 5 to 9 inches higher.Other than aerodynamics any advantage to this other than my back might hurt
paul

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
It all matters where your ankles and knees line up with the hips. The higher saddles usually allow a little more hip drive to the pedals. BUT, you HAVE to be careful with this. The main reason is you can irritate the IT band pretty easily as well as the origin of the hamstrings on the pelvis. Not too mention develop some nasty saddle sores long term.

If you want to raise the saddle, have a bike fitter do it. Its the easiest way to go, and takes out the guess work of doing it yourself.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
BS. The saddles have not been raised, the handlebars have been lowered.

Paul, there is no reason to lower the handlebars other than aerodynamics.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seat looks higher

When I watch these guys I sure see a lot of seat post under them. It actually looks like seat post up all the way and the handlebars down low
Must be horrible on the lower back so counts me out

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts

They have found the point at which cycling is no longer fun. Even though I have had my share of road bikes, I don't think there is much joy in road bike competition. MTB racing still seems like it can be fun though.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
qmsdc15 said:

Three great reasons to lower your bars:
1) More power transfer from the hips.
2) Better leverage/power out of the saddle.
3) Better control cornering/descending.

This is why it is common to see a 29er MTB with a flipped stem and a flat bar. It gets the rider lower and also makes the front end a little more responsive like a 26er.

If someone has the adequate hip mobility to successfully ride with a lowered position, I will typically recommend it for the above reasons.

The only time someone should think twice about lowered bars is if they noticeably round out their mid back after the change has been made.

Hack you're right, I retired from road racing last summer after a crash to stay strictly with knobby tire competition. It's a blast. Being able to go faster than a 15mph posted speed limit is a blast!

Plus the vibe MTB racing is pretty relaxed. People are just glad you're out there!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
So much more fun. Guys don't big league you like they do on the road, and let's face it. Riding single track is just a lot more fun!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts