Seat Covers

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by hulk, Sep 22, 2009.

1. hulk

hulk Guest

Does anyone here use a seat cover? I was thinking of getting one that can give me more cushion.

2. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Invest in a good pair of cycling shorts instead. Much better use of money in my mind.

3. raiden

raiden Guest

What varying degrees of padding do those come with?

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Different brands have different insides but the more money you spend the better (within reason anyway) Just dont buy a pair of shorts for $20 and think that all cycling shorts suck. If you spend between $50-$90 you can find some good shorts that make a huge difference. Also depends on how serious of a bike rider you are or want to become.

5. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

For distance cycling most riders use a firmer, not softer saddle. The Brooks B-17 is one of the most popular distance saddles ever made. It has no padding and is made simply of leather stretched over a frame.

[​IMG]

Also- if you are getting bike shorts I can not say enough good things about Aerotech Designs pro shorts. They are made in America (PA I believe), they are affordable, comfortable, and they come in sizes from small to 3 or 4 XL because this company understands that cyclists come in all shapes and sizes. I have no affiliation with this company other than as a satisfied repeat customer. My only warning is that their website looks like an elementary school class project.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I used a gel cover once and all it did was make it to where my weight was constantly shifting. I tried it for about a week and gave up on it. It's somewhere in box never to be seen again.

7. bikedozer

bikedozer Guest

why must one wear the biker shorts if they want to be considered serious bikers?

8. HandsomeRyan

Most serious cyclist do because they are comfortable, they offer muscle support allowing for harder/longer riding, and when you put that much work into making your legs look nice you want to show them off with ultra-tight pants.:D

Have you noticed that olympic swimmer don't wear baggy swim trunks like you or I might when we go to the pool, and serious hunters all wear camo rather than jeans and an old tee shirt. As with almost all hobbies/sports/activities once you reach a certain level within the sport you tend to start wearing the "uniform" that will help you go further at that activity. Bike shorts help reduce saddle sores, improve aerodynamics, and the tight fit supports leg muscles allowing for better power transfer for a longer period of time. I would consider myself an "avid casual cyclist" since I own several nice bikes but I don't compete with any of them. Second only to my clipless pedals I think bike shorts are one of the most important items for long happy riding.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Its gross but all that sweatin gets you all bunched up then you can get a wicked rub burn. It makes it to where you never want to get on another bike ever again.:eek:

10. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I have only been into riding about five months so this is a beginners experience. I ride about a hour and a half every day on a hybrid. I have the bike shorts and they are great and help a bunch. They come in the normal cargo looking style as well. My wife bought them and INSISTED on the standard tight bike shorts because of the visual effect. After 29 years of marriage if wearing a pair of bike shorts works....bring it! Note: Lift your "junk" before getting on the bike. Keeps it from getting numb. I also use a gel pad on the seat. I like it and it works well for me. It has to be on very tight or it squirms around though as mentioned.

11. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

It's not that you need the shorts to be a serious CYCLIST (bikers ride Harleys), because the clothes don't make the man. It's a lot simpler -- lycra shorts with the chamois are easier to move your legs in, support muscle groups, most move sweat fairly well, and the pad keeps you from RTS (raw taint syndrome).

It's a function thing.

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

You could allways stuff a cupple of Sham-wows in your shorts :D ;)

13. HandsomeRyan

Vince didn't demonstrate that one in the commercial!

[​IMG]