Seat Post Broke

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Sludge, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Sludge

Sludge Guest

I have a cousin who was riding down some stairs on a BMX when the seat post actually broke and stabbed into his leg. Has anyone ever heard of a seat post breaking??? I would think the metal isn't supposed to be that brittle or maybe the seat came off the post and I misunderstood but still..

2. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

Post break commonly... Especially cheap posts and ones that have too little post in the seat tube. Another problem seems to be that he was setting on the seat while riding down stairs.

3. s2pyd

s2pyd Guest

Sweet jesus... where can I get a bike with metal that will bend instead of snap??? The kind of things I do with my bikes most people would stare in horror at

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

If you get a good one, like Thomson, then you dont have to worry about it breaking for 99.9% of any riding in my opinion. I worked in a bike shop for 3 years and never saw a broken Thomson. That is also what we upgraded everyone who actually broke a post into as well. They really know what they are doing.

5. mothra

mothra Guest

Do they make all kinds of bikes or only certain types?

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Thomson seatposts (and stems) are definitely worth the extra $$$. I have them on most of my mtn bikes and have never broken one. I don't think that there is a better seatpost out there for xc riding.

7. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

get a thomson, or a pivotal