seat post

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by speedfan, Jun 4, 2010.

1. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

I am using a 74 Schwinn Continential to build a single. Is there a source for a seatpost that will allow a modern seat clamp ? The tube is about 20.8 mm ID

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I'm not sure that I understand your question. Doesn't your Schwinn have a seatpost clamp built into the frame?

3. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

seatpost

In the frame yes. I am trying to use a modern seat, must have a "seatpost" that will fit in the frame and clamp to a modern seat.

4. hophead

I think I know what you are trying to do. The seatpost you have is like the one on the right and you want to switch to the kind on the left?

If so, all you have to do is get a seatpost of the same diameter and a new saddle and you are in business.

Attached Files:

5. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Correct, but can not find a post with the small diameter needed to fit my frame. I will probably have to have an adapter turned at a machine shop. Fit it inside the new post, not in a hurry, still looking.

6. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Thanks for the attention, this has been a fun project. Still learning the details of the single culture.

7. hophead

20.8 is definitely an odd ball size. I have an old Schwinn singlespeed conversion myself. Good luck!

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Just an idea and its really a fairly high risk one if what you have already is working. IF you have access to someone that is a really good welder, why not remove or just cut the top off the seat post you have that will work, and then cut the mount off the type you want and then have the welder put them together?

9. hophead

Modern seatposts are aluminum and the OP's is probably steel, so welding is not possible.

10. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

There is no welding equivalent for aluminum?

11. hophead

You can weld aluminum and you can weld steel, but you can't weld aluminum to steel.

12. hophead

After a little research on the interweb, your bike uses a 21.15mm or 13/16" seatpost. Schwinn never used a 20.8mm, nor did any other manufacturer that I could find. It's still gonna be a hard one to track down with a modern style saddle interface if it exists at all.

You may not need a new seatpost at all. Maybe just one of these....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  13. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Welding aluminum

I am going to have the machine shop press the old into the new. I have to get proper length and cut new post. Will post pics after complete, thanks for the suggestions.

14. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Post top

Where did you find this device, looks perfect?

15. hophead

16. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I think you might find one of them a a used bike place that fixes up oldys but goodys. :thumbsup:

17. WesleyJack

WesleyJack New Member