Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there seems to be a lot of talk about seats lately. I dont seem to have a problem with my stock seat but I have yet to go over 25 miles so far either.

So I guess this begs to ask, do seat comfort issues not manifest themselves for the most part until the rider surpasses a time line unknown to the specific rider?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've rarely had problems with stock seats, but I've never ridden more than 25 miles or so at a time, so maybe if I was in the saddle more than an hour-ish at a time it might manifest itself. I think I've been blessed with an iron butt ;) (hope I didn't just jinx myself)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too many variables, all I can say is don't fix what ain't broke.
Dont plan on changing anything just wanted to know If there was something to look for when I turn the mileage corner.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
I think adjustments are pretty important. Small changes can make huge differences. It might just be me but the more miles and saddle time I get in throughout the year I tend to make minor adjustments and I do mean minor.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
I think it takes a little time to get the seat and you gooch broken in. If you can do 25 miles with no problems I think you won't have them at 50.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have bin rideing a Sella An-Atomica for a fue months and have found a saddle I would buy again. I try to get in at least 15 20 miles a day, but what toped it off was I rode my Fuji with an outher saddle 17 miles the outher day and boy was it uncomfortable. I put 3500 miles on that saddle last year and thaught it was ok. Now that I rode the Selle An-Atomica I don't know how I rode on that outher saddle, By the way yes I did get the clydesdale for riders over 180# .

Attachments

·
717 Posts
To the O.P I'd say yes. Week day training rides after work of 1-1.5 hours give no "numbutt" but a weekend ride of 3-4 hours will start the pain. I fight it my getting out of the seat more often (duh!) and taking rest stops for fresh liquids and a cigar.

(Just sorta kiddin on the latter, I wait until I get home!)

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Smoking a cigar while or during a riding? OK then, next!

Seat fitting is a literal pain to find the best seat. You start though by measuring your sit bones from point to point, you can do that by either having someone help you, perhaps a member of the opposite sex because it could turn into a bit of fun...! anywho, or get a piece of thick styrofoam and sit on allowing it to crush a bit so you can see the indentations of where the sit bones are and measure the distance of the indentations.

Next take those measurements to a store and try to find a seat that will put your sit bones in the center of the left and right pads of the seat. If the sit bones measurements are too wide and begin to lie on the pad area that slopes off your ashe will start to hurt on long rides. Some guys have wider sit bones then others and actually feel better on female designed seats, thus measuring is important. Then even after doing all of that there's only a little guarantee that it will find you the best seat on the first try! Thus it's important to find a store that will let you use the seat for a week and if you don't like it exchange it for another.

This is why all leather seats like Brooks work so well for most people (most, not all), because the seat will break into exactly where your sit bones are rather then hunting all over for a seat to work. I have a couple of Brooks seats, a B17 and a Swift (both with TI rails) that are superb seats. Fortunaltely I bought the Swift before the prices went skyrocketing over the last couple of years, but it's a great racing saddle, howbeit heavier then a true racing saddle, but a lot more comfortable then any seat on my other road bikes, except for the B17 thats on the tourer of course.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Smoking a cigar while or during a riding? OK then, next!
Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

I'm thinking of putting a cigar holder on my handlebars. Maybe removing the bar end cap, and getting the right ring gauge cigar to fit in there! Sounds like a niche for Macanudo! There's "golf course" cigars, we need a Tour de Tobacco Leaf!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

I'm thinking of putting a cigar holder on my handlebars. Maybe removing the bar end cap, and getting the right ring gauge cigar to fit in there! Sounds like a niche for Macanudo! There's "golf course" cigars, we need a Tour de Tobacco Leaf!
Maybe your prize for the movie quiz should be one of those limited Macanudos with the stainless band...

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Since we're already OT, apparently the old school thought was smoking actually help respiration and it was common for the riders to smoke before climbs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Since we're already OT, apparently the old school thought was smoking actually help respiration and it was common for the riders to smoke before climbs.

Hard men with an iron lung?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts

That's me, the guy in on the front row on the far right side handing a cig to my opponent, note: I'm giving him the cig and not smoking myself so I can beat him in later stages! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Maybe your prize for the movie quiz should be one of those limited Macanudos with the stainless band...
I haven't seen those. I smoked a Perdomo on Wednesday. Nick Perdomo has a cigar factory less than 10 miles from my house. I've been told I really should go visit the Padron factory in Miami.

·
Banned
400 Posts
so what kind of seat is good for a bigger girl? I've got a new friend and she's 5'5 and weighs about 250 or so so she has pretty big legs. right now she has a big wide seat but often complains about discomfort. should I have her try out a more narrow seat? I've noticed she has a little trouble getting on the seat. Her bike is only a 15 in step through but i think because of her bigger thighs she has trouble getting on the seat maybe i donno.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A local shop was having a sale on Lot 23's, so I bought a box of 20 for about $85. They threw in a Perdomo ashtray for free.

It's a huge ceramic ashtray just like pictured above. It's more than a foot in diameter.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A local shop was having a sale on Lot 23's, so I bought a box of 20 for about $85. They threw in a Perdomo ashtray for free.

It's a huge ceramic ashtray just like pictured above. It's more than a foot in diameter.
It wouldn't make a good bike seat though!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts