Self defense?

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Industry_Hack, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

While browsing the internet for cycling news, I happen to come across this article, about a motorist who allegedly got out of his car and destroyed a $4,800 bicycle with a baseball bat.

It's the usual deal where the cyclists claim a motorist (safely ensconced inside his car/truck/SUV) harassed and/or threatened them, and the motorist claims that when he exited his vehicle, one or more cyclists (usually dressed in shorts, tights, or lycra) and having no obvious weapons other than a 20 pound or so bicycle, proceeded to threaten him or her. I find articles like this interesting, because there is so much disparity between the facts as offered by the victim and the aggressor. For instance, it was claimed that a female cyclist hit the motorist's car with her bike. Personally, I wouldn't go up against any automobile, even armed with a 30 pound MTB. Then there is the argument that the motorist acted in self defense when he used a bat on a bicycle. I'm having a bit of trouble with that one too. While I have been in enough bike crashes to know that they're absolutely vicious creatures when thrown end over end, I cannot think of any situation where I would feel a need to defend myself from one, if I am not actually riding it.

I'll make a note to try and post a follow up after the trial. Should be interesting to see how this turns out. In the meantime, do not turn your back on a bicycle for any reason. And be prepared to defend yourself against an angry Giant.

Originally posted on IndustryOutsider.com 1/29/2011​

2. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Once again, I saw this elsewhere first, and had to comment there.

A MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATOR, comfortably throned in a steel box equipped with an engine that can both accelerate quickly and reach a high rate of speed, one that weighs 15X that of a cyclist + bike, is threatened by said cyclist... sure.

When did what amounts to a mosquito bite become a threat requiring aggressive self-defense?

I've been told I'm a little crazy; but for me, anyone with a ball bat who swings it at me, REGARDLESS OF PROVOCATION, has committed aggravated assault, and COULD DIE for it... quickly. And yes, you swing at my bike, you're swinging at me -- we're like twins, we have a 'link'........

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

You know, I had never thought of it in that light. That's a good point CTD!

4. Industry_Hack

People that go looking for trouble rarely need to travel far.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

In my great state, had the SOB come at me with a bat, I could have shot and killed him, and never been in the wrong.

I love Texas.

If he had the ability to leave the situation, regardless of the actions of the cyclists, then he was in the wrong. If they both had the ability to leave, then this is just another example of humanity failing all the way around.

6. Industry_Hack

I think it was his pride (or stupidity) that wouldn't let him turn his back on lycra-clad thugs...

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Pride and stupidity are usually the same thing.

8. conorkco2

conorkco2 New Member

My dad and I carry knifes with about 4 inch blades for multiple reasons (including self defense) but I've heard of people carrying 44 magnums and smith and Wesson bodyguards so I guess some people don't feel safe where they ride.

9. Digital_Cowboy

Digital_Cowboy New Member

The link no longer works. :(

10. Industry_Hack

I'm sure it did a year ago.

11. DChapman

DChapman Junior Member Tavern Member

That's nuts! I think part of the rage against cyclists is from commuting stress in general. People are so rushed, urban sprawl and construction make for hellish commutes. So people text and multitask in their cars to "make up lost time" and then there's a !!€^%<~%^* cyclist freak in their##**^ Lycra in "my lane" blocking traffic. When in reality it might take a few seconds to pass safely. We all share the road, the trails and, well, the world. May as well get used to it.

I often carry pepper spray when hiking, for unleashed dogs, coyotes (four or two legged) if I am attacked. May as well clip it on my bike now.

12. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I carry and use spray on dogs that don't understand my soft puppy love talk. I hate doing it, but sometimes there isn't another option other than to stand in the blocked road for long period of time or get bitten.
    As for the "two legged" coyotes, better gave a cell phone as well. ;)
    Ride safe folks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  13. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Dialogue around 30 seconds. . . .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnnI1DcMfk[/ame]

14. DChapman

Yes I do carry the phone as well , especially if on my own.

15. cwtrials

cwtrials Biking With a Mission

My dad used to have one of the old school long metal bike pumps with about 4 lbs of lead shoved into one end for dogs. It packed quite a wallup.

As much as I love 'merica, carrying a gun while riding isn't very practical.

16. DChapman

Good idea CW. The dog owners (which I rant to become one of) will freak enough if a cyclist uses pepper

17. DChapman

(oops hit the send by accident). The dog owners will freak enough if we use pepper spray on their babies even if said baby is lunging at us, teeth bared. I used it once in college when a junkyard dog type came off it's chain and charged me. Not pretty but it allowed me to get away and not end up hamburger.

I can smile at the thought and security of carrying, but is the bike hating public ready to bear the idea of "hordes of Lycra clad goons packing heat?" :)

But a stout stick, spray or handy bike pump? We need to be able to defend if necessary. Taking pics or video wouldn't hurt either, for proof.

18. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

To quote the Great Mr. Theodore Roosevelt:

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"

19. Sneakers

Sneakers Senior Member

Like you said, not enough information to ascertain what happened. But I will say this, assuming the cyclist did throw her bike then she acted extremely childish, then the motorist returned the childish behavior by acting like a child himself when he took the bat to the bicycle. It's sounds like a case of two children that just happen to meet up with each other at the same time.

I don't carry any weapons when I ride, why? Because a cyclist will never be able to get the gun out in time to either fire at a car that just hit and ran, or fire at a car with gang bangers who fired at the cyclist first. In both circumstances the cyclist is probably either going to be dead or too seriously hurt to respond, and if somehow the cyclist is able to respond by the time he picks himself up off the ground and retrieves his gun the car is out of range...assuming the cyclist would even have the nerves to pull the trigger or if he does pull the trigger be able to aim. 78% of all people that need to use a gun in the general population either freeze and can't fire, or spray bullets everywhere except at the target; then you encounter the problem with stray bullets hitting a innocent bystander which gives the would be defender some time in jail, not to mention the attorney costs and the liability cost.

I'm former military, actually saw combat, I still don't carry a gun when riding. I do take a small 45cal Derringer when I go touring/camping, and it only comes with me if I know I will be camping in a remote area. The gun hides in my handlebar bag along with my ankle holster, when I get to where I'll be camping I strap on the gun. Why so small of a gun, why only two shots? Because if I see someone approaching I can discretely get the gun out of the holster and palm it so the person can't even see the gun; also because most shootings take place at 6 to 7 feet from each other I don't need a long barrel; and two shots because I'm confident to know I only need one...and note, it's a 45 cal, even from a small gun it's going to kill someone right now. The second shot is just in case there's a second person, if there's more then two, usually the others will run, but if not then it's hand to hand combat time and I may be screwed, oh well. But I'm not so paranoid either to think I will encounter this sort of activity to begin with. Probably the most I would ever have to do with it is shoot some sort of wild critter which is the real reason I take it!

20. omnivox42

omnivox42 New Member Tavern Member

I thinking carrying a phone is a must while out of the house. As far as self defense on the bike, I dont think anything as a weapon does much good. As sneakers mentioned in the post above a cyclist doesn't have the time to do anything in response. The best offense is defense, meaning get out, dodge, stop, or whatever takes you out of the possible violent situation.

I know this doesn't always work.

When I am not on the bike I always carry a decent Sypderco folder knife, will it save my life? Maybe maybe not.