Selle Anatomica

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Bike Forum' started by rushlake, Mar 8, 2016.

1. az_cyclist

az_cyclist Junior Member

great saddle. I have had one for over a year, the X series.

2. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

I looked up the Selle; I had a Brooks leather saddle on my old peugeot, way back in 73-76, if I recall. It was old and broken in, when I bought the bike used.
    Now, it looks like I may buy a Selle Anitomica.....as soon as Uncle Sam pays me back April 15, or sooner.

3. rushlake

rushlake Member

Do these need to be treated? And what is the break in time for them if any?

4. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

I looked it up under "SETUP" in the link you provided. Break in time, I thought I read, is minimal.
    SADDLE CARE

Use a damp cloth to clean your saddle. If your saddle gets wet during a ride, remove tension and let it dry naturally at room temperature without applying any heat. In wet climates we recommend Selle Anatomica Saddle Sauce or a third party waterproofing agent but never use any solvents or silicone. That would cause the leather to lose it’s shape and stretch.

WaterShed leather has natural hydrophobic properties that are helpful for the unexpected damp ride. However, if you plan to go riding in the rain, we recommend that you protect your saddle’s top, bottom, and edges with Saddle Sauce.
    TruLeather has no hydrophobic properties and should therefore be treated with Saddle Sauce regularly to keep the leather from getting wet, causing it to lose it’s shape and to stretch. Saddle Sauce: APPLYING SADDLE SAUCE

Your saddle should be dry and clean before applying Saddle Sauce. When applying using an applicator such as a towel or sponge, dampen it first with water. Use long one-directional strokes once over to prevent tacky build-up. Saddle Sauce will not alter color or finish, but will dry to a mellow gloss. Protect Saddle Sauce from freezing. Saddle Sauce should be applied every two to three months depending on the amount of rain your area receives and how often you ride.

5. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

Oh yay!, another company trying to convince people that leather saddles are not outdated and overhyped.

My saddle I can ride in rain and just wipe it off after or just leave it wet. It does not "break in" but instead is the proper shape for riding when purchased. Though I think the break in thing is a straight up load of crap anyhow. Of course if you put 8 hundred miles on a saddle it is more comfortable. You have become used to it developed the proper calesus for riding it and forgot how uncomfortable it is. Ride multiple saddles the same amount and your opinion will be different.

If leather saddles are actually so great how come not a single pro rider has been on one for at least a couple decades?

If the Selle Anatomica is anything like a Brooks don't believe the hype. If you can not buy a saddle and be fitted with it and it feel under you from mile 1 to mile 20k the same, it is outdated technology.

Riding leather saddles is the equevilant to riding a quill stem or square taper bottom bracket. It functions and you can convince yourself it is great but it has not been the best available for a long time.

Sorry in adavance for the unslaught of Brooks fanboys who will now hijack your thread to explain to me why a sadlle that weighs what my rear wheel does is so great. Could save wveryone the time, just go read the hype on the Brooks' website. Placebo affect...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Oh yay :) makes me laugh !

7. az_cyclist

az_cyclist Junior Member

Doesnt matter to me. The Selle Anatomica is the most comfortable saddle I have ridden. I did take several rides and about 100-200 miles for it to be comfortable, but it was never uncomfortable.

8. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

After giving it much thought, weighing the Brooks with the Sella, and with the existing saddle, I'm staying with the saddle that came with my Cannondale, the PrologQ Kappaevo.
    I was looking at these two seats, and knowing one is made here, gave me an extra thump in my heart for a leather saddle. Many, many miles, and many many saddles have I had since the high-school days of my Peugeot topped with a Brooks. I recall how hard that seat was, yet how comfortable it was also. The latest saddles I had gone through had transformed me back to a very thin surface, and even less padding in the bike shorts. I've reverted back to a very conformable ride.
    While I respect the folks who have that leather, I will decide not to go that route. As I say in some of my closings (I know! Seat/ saddle) "keep the butt in the seat and the rubber on the road".

9. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

I really am not against leather saddles if people like them, they should ride them. Recently it seems every group ride I go on someone is trying to tell me how great they are and that I should have one.

Honestly the thing about saddles is I do not think what is best for one is best for another.

I ride a really firm and super narrow saddle. The width to me is what is most important. There are firmness levels 1 being lowest and then up from there. I ride a 2 but could ride a 1 or 3 as long as the width is correct. If any company made a super narrow leather saddle I would maybe give it a chance. I do ride in wet conditions a lot though and would rather just not have to think about treating it or anything... It is just where I sit, not near as important to me as the wheelset or other parts.

10. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

No one saddle is going to be the best option for all riders. Our rear ends weren't all made out of one mold. I'd see if you have a LBS around you that has some demo saddles you can try out. Several of ours do. The only way to know if you will feel comfortable on it and love it, is to get out and ride it. I'd try that route if you can before plunking down the dollars.

11. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

I know I've hedged about a new saddle, talking of getting a Brooks or a Sella, or just keeping what I have, a plastic Prolog Kappa evo, that came with my Cannondale Synapse.
    Well, I just received my new Sella Anatomica X in the mail today. Darned thing is, I can't ride, due to rotten weather! :hate:
    I like the looks, and the opening for relief of perineal pressure is a feature of this, whereas the OEM saddle was lacking it. Not that that saddle was uncomfortable, but, over the long haul, for what I do, I'm taking the choice of Sella.

Attached Files:

12. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Glad you found something that works!

A constant up hill battle for me. One of the Selle Italia SLRs is super comfortable for me but only up to like 40 miles when the "boys" start to hurt. I had an ISM that fixed that issue but wasn't nearly as comfortable on the bike.

13. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

Yeah, I'm hoping it works. It'll be a few days, it looks like, due to foul weather. Thanks. I hope you find a good saddle, too.

14. Retmuter

Retmuter Member

Bumping because I just got one. All my life I've been tinkering with saddle location on the bike. Never really uncomfortable, but not super comfortable. And my butt is now pushing 60 like the rest of me.
    I think my butt's worth the buck and a half (I know, ain't worth but 40 downtown :rolleyes: )

15. Retmuter

Retmuter Member

While I respect your opinion, butts are butts. What works for you may not work for other people. You obviously made this post before you even evaluated this product. If this saddle solves my problems, who are you to judge? My butt is MY butt. I'll take care of it the way I please. Sorry if you don't like it.

16. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

Haha I hadn't seen Sprock's take on leather saddles. Pretty funny.
    At work people always ask me what kinda saddle to get. I usually measure their sit bones then put them on five or so and tell them to try the one they choose for at least 20 or more miles. Then feel free to come back and exchange it.
    I have yet to find two people of same size and weight who have the exact experience with a saddle.
    I ride super slim ones and really can ride anything. Nothing bothers my bum. I have a personal fave but have no idea if it would work for anyone else.
    I say ride what you like and forget what anyone else thinks of it.

17. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

It has been my experience that if the seat feels great when you get on it you'll be hating it after 20 miles. Of course I've never spent any $250 to get all this wow now high technology that has been eluded to. I've come to the conclusion that after 50-60 miles, my @55 will be not be happy with any bike seat, no matter what pricepoint or high techery level it may have.

18. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

When I bought my current road bike, I was very happy and comfortable with the OEM saddle that was on it. That love affair lasted for around 6 months before I would start feeling sore on 20 mile rides. The search for the perfect saddle started and I went to a shop that had a loaner program. Tried every saddle they had including a Brooks B17, which turned out to be the worst of the bunch for me. I happened to be at my LBS and talking to my fitter about my saddle issue and he suggested we put the bike on the Retul trainer and take a look. After about five minutes, he suggested an ISM Prologue. I really didn't want to spend that much money on a saddle and opted not to get it. After a few more rides of really bad butt pain, and prodding from my wife, I went in and bought it. He put it on and adjusted it according to my riding profile and I went to the park to try it out. Looking again at the design of the saddle, I was thinking that I had just thrown my money away but when I got on and rode, it was love at first sit. I ended up doing a long ride that day and when I was done it felt as if I had never ridden. That was in 2012 and I've been riding the same saddle since. Even ordered one for the new bike. However, I can certainly attest that this saddle is not for everyone. Those with narrow sit bones seem to love it while those with wider sit bones tend to hate it. It's all in the rider's anatomy.

19. rushlake

rushlake Member

http://milestonerides.com/2016/03/07/gear-review-selle-anatomica-saddle/

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/selle-anatomica-titanico-the-best-bike-touring-saddle/

Some reviews for pros and cons above.

I started this thread because I thought it was not only nice that a product was made in the US and not China, but here in Elkhorn WI.

Many threads contain opinions along with praise and complaints about new "high tech" saddles. I know Flan and I both experienced the same trouble with our Selle Hybrids. And this Saddle (Selle Anatomica) obviously works for Joe (ironlungs)
    Some pros are that instead of just width options they have weight options. One of which I believe has a weight limit of 130lbs. They are adjustable for tension and can be tensioned back up if sag occurs. Yes I realize this does not occur on a modern saddle. But it allows the user to adjust to their comfort. With a modern saddle you get what you get. This saddle has only been around since 2007 so it isn't a 100+ yr. old design being pushed on consumers. As in the above reviews there is a mention of no break in time required as compared to Brooks.
    Yes they weigh about a pound, 480 grams, compared to say a Specialized Romin at about 5.65 ounces,160 grams. But the new carbon C series is only 190 grams and $399.00. But not everyone, I'm not kidding here, is a racer worried about weight or speed. Most of the time these are referred to and complemented by touring cyclists. So no I doubt we will ever see these show up in a pro team peloton. But then I don't think anyone on this forum owns a bike that fits in that category either.
    One of these summers, or many, time permitting, I would like to tour some of the Wisconsin cycling manufacturers like Selle Anatomica, Trek, Saris, Waterford/Gunnar, Mt.Borah,

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017