Two Spoke Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It is cool that it is made in the States. My cyclocross bike has Bontrager saddle that is made in Waterloo. You have to get the carbon one to have it made in the US but the Montrose is an option. Comfy for me. I have never had a saddle make me sore. Not sure what others would think of it comfort wise. It is race lite. Sven Nys won a World Championship with his bottom on one.
Not trying to talk anyone out of the Selle Anatomica. It looks good. I personally don't have a bike I would put that heavy a saddle on. I know I am not pro and don't have a 10k bike but I also besides my DH bike don't have a bike that weighs over 20 lbs. I do race though and many here do not.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I wouldn't think you would put one on a mountain bike, as I stated in my above previous post generally used by touring cyclists who are really worried worried about weight. But fyi the Selle anatomica carbon saddle is 17 grams lighter than the Bontrager Montrose

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Selle Anatomica carbon is full carbon ! That is pretty cool. Kinda not comparable to the Montrose as it is a carbon shell but covered. Verses the full carbon Selle. Was not saying don't buy the Selle Anatomica. Simply pointing out there are racier saddles available that are also made in Wisconsin.
I wasn't meaning on mtb. Was meaning my cross or road bike. I would try one of the leather ones if the price was right. Excluding on my race bike.
I can see it being good for touring.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I dig.
It's also cool that you work in a Trek shop and are aware of these things. I did not know they were manufacturing saddles here.
But I did know that the Shinola bikes are Waterford built frames.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I dig.
It's also cool that you work in a Trek shop and are aware of these things. I did not know they were manufacturing saddles here.
But I did know that the Shinola bikes are Waterford built frames.
It is just good there are USA made options. The only Trek stiff from Waterloo is carbon made. Lots of wheels and of course high end frames.
Shinola, I just Googled. Sweet looking bikes. Totally cool.

·
Registered
378 Posts
After a few more rides of really bad butt pain, and prodding from my wife......
No, no I better leave well enough alone.........
SRS this saddle is different. Not in a bad way. It's there but what's there isn't like a saddle. I noticed right away the saddle allowing my things to move. I don't have big thighs, but I've always ridden with my knock knees close to the frame.
It's hard at first but that initial reaction goes away and it feels good (DON'T GO THERE!!!) I only have an hour and 40 minutes tied up, so time will tell.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Update:
This saddle weighs almost an ounce more than what it replaced.
As of yet I haven't adjusted the tension and I'm not inclined to at this point. I did fine tune position. The saddle and I are starting to like each other a lot.
As of yet I've only treated the edges. I do ride in the rain with an old Nike Echelon jacket with fold up flap, left down. I also have fenders. So far, no contact with moisture.
The nicest part? 'The boys' seem to find a comfortable home right away.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Overall I have to say this is a good investment. For me. I waited awhile before adjusting tension and it's now a bit looser than it came to me. I also found I can play with my nut on the fly which helped me get it dialed in. I just stuffed the allen in a glove. Tomorrow will be the equivalent of a metric century and I'll probably leave the allen in the glove on the way to my fave rib joint.
I'm a fragile diabetic. The bike helps me eat the way I want to eat. Mostly it's just 10-12 fast miles a day which helps keep me stabile. Fewer highs and lows with less fuss. Reduced insulin use, win.

·
3,513 Posts
Overall I have to say this is a good investment. For me. I waited awhile before adjusting tension and it's now a bit looser than it came to me. I also found I can play with my nut on the fly which helped me get it dialed in. I just stuffed the allen in a glove. Tomorrow will be the equivalent of a metric century and I'll probably leave the allen in the glove on the way to my fave rib joint.
I'm a fragile diabetic. The bike helps me eat the way I want to eat. Mostly it's just 10-12 fast miles a day which helps keep me stabile. Fewer highs and lows with less fuss. Reduced insulin use, win.
I wish my wife would accept this!! I believe that moving one foot ous a vast improvement to one who sits on his duff all day! Thanks for the encouraging word Ret!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wish my wife would accept this!! I believe that moving one foot ous a vast improvement to one who sits on his duff all day! Thanks for the encouraging word Ret!
Show her this post and the other one in health. Tell her about the food thing. Right away she'll understand. The freedom here is amazing. At least for me. I can even tolerate a coupla cookies now and again.
I'm not sure if you've seen my posts about my 'go juice'. As you know, we can't tolerate a bunch of sugar. I've found mixing Kool Aid with 1/3 sugar and 2/3 sucralose is the right balance for me. But you could make it 4:1, 50/50, whatever works. On longer rides I've been taking two bottles and two more in my rack trunk. I end up staying in a good range. And then there's the food wherever I stop.......
BTW I love KFC. AND there's one only 9 miles away. Calories galore. I don't have to worry about that as much. BTW I'm 5'9" tall, 160# 40" chest 32" waist and have stayed there since the 70# came off.

·
3,513 Posts
Show her this post and the other one in health. Tell her about the food thing. Right away she'll understand. The freedom here is amazing. At least for me. I can even tolerate a coupla cookies now and again.
I'm not sure if you've seen my posts about my 'go juice'. As you know, we can't tolerate a bunch of sugar. I've found mixing Kool Aid with 1/3 sugar and 2/3 sucralose is the right balance for me. But you could make it 4:1, 50/50, whatever works. On longer rides I've been taking two bottles and two more in my rack trunk. I end up staying in a good range. And then there's the food wherever I stop.......
BTW I love KFC. AND there's one only 9 miles away. Calories galore. I don't have to worry about that as much. BTW I'm 5'9" tall, 160# 40" chest 32" waist and have stayed there since the 70# came off.
Ha! I'm not laughing at this post, I'm guffawing, that my wife is hypochondriac nurse ergo gets it in her head that she has all these things against her... which, in actuality, she does. But she is influenced easily about sickness... gets it in her head that the Dr knows best!! I am her exact opposite in that "I'm as healthy as I know, until I see a Dr"!.... I'll show her, for sure! As I will the post you put in on diabetes... thanks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.