Two Spoke Forums banner
3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  flyingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
I was reading this book bicycling for dummies and came acrost this formula for setting seat hight, your standover measurment x 1.09 , mine 29.750 x 1.09 = 32.4 this is set from the top of the pedal at the lowest point to the top of the seat. This was about an inch lower than what I had it set at useing put your heal on the peddle with the peddle in the bottom posision. and if you arn't rocking when peddeling you got it right.

So have any of you used this method or heard of this. What are your thaughts on this.

#2 ·
Most of the formulas that I've seen reference standover height rather than inseam. To measure your standover height, stand with your back against a wall. Take a book and hold between you legs pulling it up as high as it will go. Yes you will have to compress your squishy bits & pieces. Measure from the floor to the top of the book and that will give you your standover height.

I don't use any formula. I just set my saddle to where it looks about right and jump on and pedal. Your knee should be slightly bent at the bottom of your pedal stroke. Adjust as necessary.

#3 ·
Yeah, it concerns me that this formula is so generic. No distinction for age, flexibility, riding goals, etc. It is especially concerning, as Hophead alluded to, that there is no discussion of knee angle.

Most fit methodologies that I have seen seem to indicate for endurance road cyclists, the knee angle should be between 25 and 35 degrees with 32 as a starting point and adjusting from there. Carmichael's book recommends angles less than 32 degrees for people with good flexibility.

Also, you need to make sure that these angles and measurements are taken when the crank is inline with the seat-tube, not pointed straight towards the ground. The logic behind this is that this is actually the longest distance between the seat and pedal if your seat-tube is sloping.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes that is how thay get the standover measurment then thay multiply that by 1.09 to get your seat to pedal measurment. It goes on to say that this formula was the result of some very serious biomechanical research on top-flight world class cyclists. It says that you should be within 1/16 of an inch of the measurment.

#5 ·
Yes that is how thay get the inseam measurment then thay multiply that by 1.09 to get your seat to pedal measurment. It goes on to say that this formula was the result of some very serious biomechanical research on top-flight world class cyclists. It says that you should be within 1/16 of an inch of the measurment.
Actually that worries me more. Most of us, myself included, are not "world class cyclists." A "world class cyclist" is usually fairly young and quite flexible. I know just seeing a pro's time trail position makes me hurt.

#6 ·
But I guess, Wild, that if you're looking for a starting position that you can fairly easily measure, this might work. Just try it out on some shorter rides and be really mindful of any knee aches. If this position does cause you knee pain, I would think based on their description of how the number was arrived at, that it probably has your saddle set too high.

#10 ·
That is what I wanted some outher opinions, I thaught this might be a little low for me as I set mine with the heal on the pedal. It was an inch higher useing the heal on the pedal. I lowered it to this mesurment and will ride with it for a wile. So maybe it will be more comforatble now it has bin ok but I thaught it could be better. this was on the Quick 6, I will have to mesure the comfort bike and see what that is.

#12 · (Edited)
I went out and rode 10 miles with the seat set by there formula

( standover x 1.09 = seat highth top of seat to top of pedal at its lowest point thay say about 7 oclock)

29.750 x 1.09 = 32.4 my seat higth, it seamed to be good on the but, but I will give it more testing. I haven't rode in 6 days so a little losening up will take me a cupple of rides you know I am 65 so you don't losen so easy. I will try to get a ride in tomarow but thay are calling for 12+" of snow for sat.
Have any of you checked your seat highth and compared it with the formuia?

#13 ·
Yes that is how thay get the inseam measurment then thay multiply that by 1.09 to get your seat to pedal measurment. It goes on to say that this formula was the result of some very serious biomechanical research on top-flight world class cyclists. It says that you should be within 1/16 of an inch of the measurment.
Sounds like were on the same page. I just wanted to clarify that standover does not equal inseam even though that's what your source calls it. Inseam is a measurement used to manufacture and taylor clothing. I'm not trying to be a nit picker, but I don't want anyone to think that if their jeans are a 32 length that they can use that figure to calculate their standover. Inseam is a couple of inches or so less than standover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.