Shifting Adjustments

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Codejockey, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Codejockey

Codejockey New Member

Is there any kind of tutorial you all know of to help me adjust my bike? It seems both shifters are not hitting the full range of gears. I could go to a bike shop and pay for a full tune-up, and I might do that, but I really would like to learn myself. I'm very mechanically inclined and do lots of my own work on my Jeep (engine rebuilds, ring and pinion swaps, etc.), I maintain my own motorcycle, so I hate to spend the money on the shop to tune up my bike for something that is most likely very easy to fix.

The bike is a DiamondBack Outlook MTB (probably 10-12 years old). I bought it new but don't remember when, exactly. I do know the frame has no suspension if that make any difference.

2. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

3. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Also, check out the vids at bicycletutor.com... I've found those very helpful.

4. Codejockey

Codejockey New Member

Thanks for the links. I will definitely check those sites out!

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

And Sheldon Brown.

That Outlook should be from the late 80s, early 90s, from what I recall. Eight speed is less finicky than nine speed, so you should have an easier time.

6. camilo

camilo New Member

yea, adjusting bike gears is dead easy once you get the hang of it.
    Another option is take the bike in for gear and brake adjustment and ask them to tutor you on it while they do it. Many/most shops will.

7. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Park Tool has an excellent maintenance book as well