Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has some tips for me about shifting gears with a mountain bike, I am a beginner at it and always inevitably end up in some really strange gear that doesn't have the power I am looking for...

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has some tips for me about shifting gears with a mountain bike, I am a beginner at it and always inevitably end up in some really strange gear that doesn't have the power I am looking for...
I solved that problem with a singlespeed.;)

I will add to the Smiley ones reply by saying think ahead whenever the terrain is about to change. If you're going from flat to a 10% grade, you are going to have to drop several gears and vice versa. What gear you should be in will depend on the situation, the terrain, and your riding style. Some people like to spin and others like to hammer. Knowing what gear is right for you comes with experience.

There are some gear combinations that you want to avoid. These are called crossover gears. That is when the chain is at an extreme angle like running the big ring and the biggest cog or the granny and the smallest cog. This puts undue strain on your drivetrain and the same ratio (or close to it) can be accomplished with friendlier combinations.

When I ride with a full set of gears off road, I run the middle ring 95% of the time. I only shift into the granny for very steep climbs and only use the big ring for flat sections and non technical downhill. While riding the middle ring, you don't have to worry about crossover gears.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
It's actually a pretty sweet piece of gear. Because it shifts the front and rear derailleurs from a single shifter, it shifts more effiiciently than you or I can.
Hmmm, interesting.

Have you ever ridden a Hammerschmidt? Those things are pretty badass. Too bad none of my bikes have an ISCG flange.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I'm wondering about durability and efficiency. I guess time will tell.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
on this subject since im a newbie to road bikes do u stop pedaling to shift or can you shift under power ? whats the best way to do it ?
For a typical derailleur type transmission, no need to stop pedaling, but you want to do your down shifts while not under a lot of load. Anticipate the climb and down shift into the appropriate gear beforehand. Avoid metallic crunchy noises.

Shift however you like on the descents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For a typical derailleur type transmission, no need to stop pedaling, but you want to do your down shifts while not under a lot of load. Anticipate the climb and down shift into the appropriate gear beforehand. Avoid metallic crunchy noises.

Shift however you like on the descents.
that would explain what happens on my ten speed when i go to shift and the chain comes off. i havent had a chance to ride my new bike yet so we'll see how that goes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts