shifting gears properly

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by johnny, Oct 6, 2009.

1. johnny

johnny Guest

I was wondering if anyone has some tips for me about shifting gears with a mountain bike, I am a beginner at it and always inevitably end up in some really strange gear that doesn't have the power I am looking for...

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Shift before you are on the hill.

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I solved that problem with a singlespeed.;)

I will add to the Smiley ones reply by saying think ahead whenever the terrain is about to change. If you're going from flat to a 10% grade, you are going to have to drop several gears and vice versa. What gear you should be in will depend on the situation, the terrain, and your riding style. Some people like to spin and others like to hammer. Knowing what gear is right for you comes with experience.

There are some gear combinations that you want to avoid. These are called crossover gears. That is when the chain is at an extreme angle like running the big ring and the biggest cog or the granny and the smallest cog. This puts undue strain on your drivetrain and the same ratio (or close to it) can be accomplished with friendlier combinations.

When I ride with a full set of gears off road, I run the middle ring 95% of the time. I only shift into the granny for very steep climbs and only use the big ring for flat sections and non technical downhill. While riding the middle ring, you don't have to worry about crossover gears.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

i-Shift. Coming soon.

5. hophead

Oh god, do I even want to know?

6. Industry_Hack

It's actually a pretty sweet piece of gear. Because it shifts the front and rear derailleurs from a single shifter, it shifts more effiiciently than you or I can.

7. hophead

Hmmm, interesting.

Have you ever ridden a Hammerschmidt? Those things are pretty badass. Too bad none of my bikes have an ISCG flange.

8. Industry_Hack

No, but I tried a NuVinci, and it was sweet.

9. hophead

Wow, that's pretty cool. I just found this video.

How many $$$ are those succas going for?

10. Industry_Hack

I'm pretty sure wholesale is a bit under $300, so figure around $500 retail, give or take. Prices will come down though.

11. paultech6

paultech6 Junior Member

Auto shifter

Does anybody know or have info on the bike they have 1/2 hour info mercials on TV about

12. hophead

I'm wondering about durability and efficiency. I guess time will tell.

13. Industry_Hack

I'm trying to get one for evaluation.

14. BigBlueKnight

BigBlueKnight Guest

on this subject since im a newbie to road bikes do u stop pedaling to shift or can you shift under power ? whats the best way to do it ?

15. Industry_Hack

You need to pedal, but do it lightly.

16. hophead

For a typical derailleur type transmission, no need to stop pedaling, but you want to do your down shifts while not under a lot of load. Anticipate the climb and down shift into the appropriate gear beforehand. Avoid metallic crunchy noises.

Shift however you like on the descents.

17. BigBlueKnight

BigBlueKnight Guest

that would explain what happens on my ten speed when i go to shift and the chain comes off. i havent had a chance to ride my new bike yet so we'll see how that goes

18. paultech6

paultech6 Junior Member

auto shift

Upon research the bike on TV infomercials I have seen is the Landrider. Heavy and overpriced

19. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

The NuVinci is not that pricey compared to a Rohloff, and that's not continuously variable.

20. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Either your derailer needs adjusting or you are trying to move the derailer too far too fast, or both.