Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Peugeot w/ friction shift levers mounted on the tube. The levers loosen every time I move them (either one) thus allowing the derailleur to pivot back and shift on its own. I have tried tightening this with plyers and still it slips. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
greg

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
I'm having an issue with shifting too. On my down shifts and up shifts its some time skipping gears.

Now my bike is a week old and I have put about 50 miles on it already. What is the recommendation for the first tune up? I know after so many miles everything needs to be checked because the cables will stretch alittle.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Greg, sounds like your friction isn't friction any more. Has something worn smooth?

Hardtail, At that rate, you should have 200 miles by the end of the first month. If you've done a bit of shifting and braking, that's probably about time for the initial tune up.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Thanks brother!

I will get it done tomorrow then, because on Saturday I have a 30 mile ride planned. But between now and then I will log another 50+ miles easy!

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Well its skipping shifts on occation. Instead of going down or up one gear its skipping to the next gear!

At this point the brakes are still feeling good. Disc brakes are nice thats for sure!

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Yeah its alittle annoying!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is the bike like new new? Whenever I replace cables they tend to require an adjustment in the first week. I've been told its because they stretch/settle in the housings, but I'm not sure about that part.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Is the bike like new new? Whenever I replace cables they tend to require an adjustment in the first week. I've been told its because they stretch/settle in the housings, but I'm not sure about that part.
Yeah its a brand new bike as of a week ago, but since I have bought it I have logged about 50 miles already.

I'm sure its only a matter of the cable stretching; thats to be expected. I will get them adjusted today though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts