Shimano drivetrain help

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by thoffman, Mar 8, 2010.

1. thoffman

thoffman New Member

I know this is hard since you can't see what I am talking about but I just installed a new Ultegra crank, chain, 10sp cassette and derailieur (upgraded from Sh 105 8sp) and I am have some issues. There is a huge amount of droop in the chain. The only time is doesn't have droop in in the large chain ring and taller gears. I can't figure out what I've done wrong. Do I need to take links out of the chain? Did I buy the wrong combo? It was a 10 sp chain.

I'm stumped. Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

TR

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If it's a new chain, yes you will have to shorten it.

3. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

if you changed size from crankset and cassette you have to set the chain to the right lenth ... how can we do that .... simple big ring (front) larger sprocket (rear) + 2 links all this without running the chain into derailleur ....

quick video here How To Calculate Chain Length - Bicycle Tutor

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Not to sound like a broken record, but I would say its the chain length. Needs to be shortened.

5. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

My bike has the Ultegra 10 speed drivetrain.
    It is a sweet setup...
    Except...
    I HAVE shifted a couple times instead of braking.:D
    And it needs to be set perfectly to go through all 10 cogs perfectly. A feat in itself.

6. thoffman

thoffman New Member

Thanks! I kind of figured that was the deal but you never know these days. Thanks to stdu007 for posting the link! That was very helpful.

Obviously, I have not set up the gearing yet. This has been a long, drawn out process that started with a broken STI shifter and has grown into a full component upgrade (if I change this doodad, I have to change that thingy, which requires this widget, and while I'm at it I might as well change that thingamabob). So far, I have hung most of the parts and run the cables but I have not yet connected everything. I'm still waiting for my brake set to arrive.

As an aside, changing from 105 to Ultegra looks to have shaved about 4 pounds from my bike. That seems a little big, but I've checked my measurements twice and I'm pretty sure I'm right. I hope they hurry with the brakes... I can't wait. The weather is getting better and I'm ready to get outside!

TRH

7. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

good info here... let us know how it all works out!