Shimano has patented a bicycle gearbox

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by lectrichead, Nov 8, 2019.

1. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

They don't mention the weight disadvantage except the video( ok after going back I see the mention). That would be an awesome setup for things like the Dirty Kanza and brutal gravel rides/races if you're willing to accept the weight penalty.

It seems to me there was someone here locally that had one...I can't be certain about that.

I think planetary gear setups belong in heavy equipment and I guess this isn't really a planetary setup but :D

3. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I think it's more blah blah blah to get 20k for a self propelled 2 wheeled eco concious personal transportation device.......Can I open it up and service it when it doesn't do it's thing any longer? Too much rocket science hyper techery to be more than niche curiosityness for me. Sure it can be done, cool. What is a bicycle going to be called once it has evolved into this whatever we're headed for? It certainly needs another name because it's becoming NOT a bicycle any more. Perhaps SP2WECPTD? (acronym for description above) How would you pronounce that? And WTF is so bad about dual control? I have a pr of LX and XT cable setups, 1 set pulling on Vbrakes and 1 set pulling on Avid discs. Both setups work flawlessly, just a different shifting technique. I even pulled the cheat paddles off for the thumbs and strictly shift up and down with front or backs of fingers. It's a nice addition to gripshift, thumbs, rapidfires or brifters on drops shifting variety. Yeah, thems XT's on the NRS.............

20190712_152509.jpg

and thoze LX's beez on the Vertex too..............

20190712_152531.jpg

dual dual rulin...............meanwhile, back to the gearboxing...............:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    rola643 likes this.
  4. rola643

I like how this gets spun up, "The Death of the Derailleur" In my world I want smaller, lighter more compact devices such as Di2 and the like. This is going in complete different direction and feels like a fresh new sales pitch to get folks to buy into to it.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shima...52nC6lVvKXPlL9NbHGcjEm1mqp69gqMB_7-xNM0NqXFrg

It feels like the Fat Bike frenzy a few years ago to me. Get a new fat bike and it will take you anywhere any time...pretty much fizzled out in a few very quick years...

I'm a naysayer for sure, just feels like an e-bike kinda thang to me. Purist? Probably. I don't even like discs on a road bike :D

5. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

I'm with you - at some point the bike isn't a 'bike' any longer.

One of the (only two) bike shops in the area spent quite some time trying to convince me that e-bikes were a Great Thing for my wife and I, mostly targeting that my wife rides a bit slower and that she could keep up with me then. It seemed odd for a bike shop to be pushing so heavily but to each his own I suppose.

We do have a lot of fat bike riders around on the trails here, sometimes it even seems like quite a high percentage but it may just be the times I am riding.

John_V and rola643 like this.
  6. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Lovin my plus bike, never when all the way phat, but it is 29er plus, not 27.5.......there’s your 20k Honda “bicycle” in that article.......and here’s some Native American gearbox for yuh

1E6BAF52-0611-471C-9C05-4466C4E07ABE.jpeg

7. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

In the world of adventure cycling, the German manufactured 14-speed Rohloff SpeedHub has a basically cult following for its industry leading gearing range and reliability.

The down side of course, is cost. Rohloff's hub comes in somewhere in the $1400 range. Shimano may be producing a pinion drive rather than an IGH, but it's still an internally geared system supported by a large manufacturer. Hopefully, that will end up meaning lower costs throughout the sector.

Personally, I'd love to play with a bike featuring a pinion system, shaft drive, fat tires, and disc brakes. Plus mud. Lots of mud :D. Or the serious back of beyond somewhere overseas. Weight isn't everything.

i12ride and lectrichead like this.
  8. rola643

If you remember @Xela, he runs one on a gravel bike and that was based, from what I recall, the need/desire for dependability in the DK200
    Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 5.56.07 AM.png

But...looks and weight are and it definitely depends on what you are doing :D I get where you are going with that it just wouldn't be for me ( definitely a niche market) as far I can tell. It's kind like the whole tire width thing in the mtb world where for a year or two the industry tried sooooo desperately to get everyone to go as wide as they could. It's like I have all this gearing on my current mtb that I've never had before and generally I don't use the low geared cogs and really only the high gears on the road or some serious open flats. Leaves a lot of unused gearing really but they did a good job driving the standard up to 12 speed, yes?

It just has the that feel, to me, of yet another solution to a problem that...just doesn't exist and an engineer trying to justify a paycheck and that's how I heard it :D

newleaf150 likes this.
  9. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Or a Schlumpf mountain drive...

newleaf150 likes this.
  10. rola643

Who ya calling a Schlumpf ? :D

11. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member