shimano spds or crank bros eggbeaters

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by Sonoran_Tj, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Sonoran_Tj

Sonoran_Tj New Member

Ive been using spds on my roadbike for about six months now, and I recently switched them to my mountain bike (I replaced platform pedals). I also have a pair of Eggbeaters that came off a trek mountain bike that I havent used yet.

Which do yall prefer? What advantages do Eggbeaters have over spds?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Nearly twenty years with SPDs, I cannot change.

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Egg beaters are more fragile, do not have adjustable tension, and [in my experience] seem to be generally more expensive.

I'm with Brian. SPD's 4 Life!

4. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

Eggbeaters are hard to beat. Plus they have the benefit of not being Shimano made.

5. Sickmont

Sickmont Member

From what some of my buddies say its basically a weight thing. But then again, these cats are hardcore weight-freaks anyways. No offense, but i prefer my big ass platforms.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Time ATAC; stop fooling with the pretenders!

7. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

...and your bike will be lighter without all that money weighing down your wallet.

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I've got five or six sets of Eggbeater SL's (stainless steel) of various generations and they are all still working great. Not sure where the "fragile" rep comes from unless you're talking about the Ti version. I routinely bounce my stainless pedals off east coast rocks and have yet to break one.

I can't speak from personal experience with regards to Time pedals, but have heard nothing but good things about them from others. Many of my friends swear by them.

SPD's are what they are--pretty much the standard of the clipless mtn bike pedal. They are inexpensive and perform well 95% of the time. I started out with SPD's, but switched to beaters for their superior ability to shed mud and ice.

Advantages of beaters over SPD's are superior mud/ice shedding, lighter weight, adjustable release angle, and all beaters are fully serviceable.

9. Industry_Hack

Does Time even make MTB pedals? I had Look road pedals/cleats twenty years ago, but only for a short time.

10. hophead

You're kidding.......right?
    [​IMG]

11. OldPilot

OldPilot New Member

I have SPDs on my bike with no issues with the pedal, my knees wish for a little more float. I have the cheap version with only 4 degrees of float so maybe with a better set of shimano xt with 6 degrees of float. I read that speedplay has 20 degrees of float but I don't know how well the pedals shed mud & crud. I am very happy with SPD they are much easier to clip in & out of than my road bike look clips.

12. hophead

Eggbeaters are adjustable from 15 to 20 degrees.

13. Sonoran_Tj

Sonoran_Tj New Member

Noob question time... what is float?

14. hophead

Float is the angle that your foot can travel before it pops out of the pedal.

15. Industry_Hack

16. OldPilot

OldPilot New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but Eggbeater you cannot adjust the release tension, right? I like that feature on the SPDs that you can adjust the release tension. I have never tried Eggbeaters only the SPDs on the mountain bike & LOOK on the road bike.:D

17. Industry_Hack

I like the fact that ProTonLocks pedals use a magnet. I'm not suggesting them for weight weenies, but they work well for people that have trouble clipping in to conventional clipless pedals, and they're an excellent option for cyclists with prosthetics.

That's thinking outside the box.

18. Jake_The_Snake

Jake_The_Snake New Member

I like both the Time and Eggbeaters for the same reason. No madder how muddy, you can still clip in. Time wins on durability for sure. I still have the ATAC Carbons I bought in '97. Eggbeaters are cheaper, but the bearings dont last that long. For $50, you can replace them every few years.

19. hophead

You can adjust the release angle by switching the cleats left to right, but you are correct, tension is not adjustable. The type of interface on an Eggbeater between the pedal and cleat is totally different than an SPD. You really would not want the tension to be adjustable.
    Bearing life can be significantly increased by servicing your pedals on a regular basis. The current generation of beaters comes with a grease fitting that screws into the end of the pedal. Btw, rebuild kits are less than 10 bucks and service both pedals.

20. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Tee-hee...ha-ha... hoo-rah. Okay, let me wipe the laugh-tears from my cheeks....

I'm not a weight weenie, I don't need to buy the lightest stuff to make up for my lack of strength. My ATAC Aliums weigh a bit more than a pound for the two of them, and cost me less than $60 per set. Of all the clipless I've tried and used, ATAC wins, hands down. Never unclip by accident, always unclip when necessary.