Shin Protection?

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Victory, May 6, 2009.

1. Victory

Victory Guest

For whatever reason I keep missing my petal when im out on the trails and scraping up my shin, what do you guys suggest to keep my shins protected?

2. Jenjabread

Jenjabread Guest

Maybe try adjusting your seat level or something like that. Hopefully it could be fixed that way instead of having to buy some kind of shin guards. But that reminds me, I used to wear shin guards when I played soccer. If that doesn't work, you could try a sports store for soccer equipment and get yourself some shin guards. Shouldn't be too expensive.

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Scabs.

4. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

A couple good options here... And one that's not so good. lol. The bad(opinions vary) one, keep riding as is. My shins are nearly numb now from all the scar tissue so I feel almost nothing from even a hefty smack to the shins. The next option would be shin guards, as suggested already. They make some directed towards bmx riding and others directed more towards downhill and regular mountain biking. My favorite option is taking the step up to clipless pedals wich will keep your feet in place, give you more control, and more power. The pedals will take a little getting used to, but very much worth the cost of admission.

5. peaches

peaches Guest

I would try soccer shin guards like mentioned above....doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

6. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Go clipless pedals! You wont regret it and no more eat up shins.

7. regulator

regulator Guest

What is a clipless pedal?

8. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

Clipless pedals are the type that your shoes can clip into. They require special shoes. You'l fall a few times at first, but once you get used to them, you'll fall in love like the first time you saw a topless girl.

9. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Guest

Do they easily lock in and out of place?

10. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I use clipless pedals and still smash my pedals into my shins. It must be a special skill that I have.:(