Shipping to CA.?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Moe, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Moe

Moe New Member

I need to know who ships to California? Also, why is it that I will

read, on many of these web sites, in big letters at the top of their page, "EPA Approved", then in

small letters at the bottom, "will not ship to California because of carb restrictions"? Are

merchants liable, or subject to fines, if as a customer I am ticketed by local law enforcement for

operating a non EPA approved carb? Some how that doesn't make since. Does the EPA have

officers at the shipping company's watching for these types of shipments ready to ponce?

Somebody enlighten me. What is up with the carburetors? Is there something inherently

poisonous about them, that "Californian's" have to be protected from, and everybody else in the

world can just go ahead and die? Somebody must be shipping to CA. because I've seen these

80cc Starfire or Stinger engines and similar powering around the sunshine state without a second look from
    :confused:
    law enforcement. :confused:

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

California has very strong smog laws, probably because the air is so lousy out here. I believe they will be fined if they ship stuff to Ca that can't be licensed here due to excessive emissions or for whatever reason don't meet the stricter EPA restrictions to allow them to be sold here. Basically if you can't sell it here, you can't ship or have it shipped here.

I'm not sure about those carbs, but the laws changed a few years ago and what was allowed before isn't now. As to the reason, I doubt the gov't even knows, somebody might just manufacture another type carb here and got some politician to make a law against competitors so they could have a monopoly. I really don't know, sometimes it is just about politics
    DrB

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

3. Moe

Moe New Member

Politics is the answer that makes since. I don't why I had not thought of that. Thanks Mtndoc

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

CARB is the California Air Resources Board. They're the EPA, so it's their job to protect the environment. The irony is that they're preventing you from running some filthy little motor on your bicycle or scooter. Yes, two strokes, and even 4 stroke motorcycle engines emit an astounding amount of pollutants. But if you ran a business or owned a factory, you'd be allowed to pollute the environment as long as they could wring some money from you. If you are outside of the state, you cannot ship something non-EPA/CARB approved into the state.

5. Moe

Moe New Member

The origanal question was about these web sites, that in one place say "EPA APPROVED" and then, usually somwhere near the bottom, state they can't ship to ca. You see the conflict? Also, I was informed all one has to do is sign a release form and the motor will be shipped. So much for protecting your air. :)

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

EPA Approved is not the same as CARB approved. Even in the auto industry, there is a 49 state version, and a CA version of every new vehicle sold today. If you try to register an out of state vehicle in CA, there is an extra fee, since it is not CA compliant.

If there is any sort of waiver, it is because the item will be used for recreational purposes only, not for street use. That's why you can't get a new 2 stroke scooter for riding to work, but you can still buy a 6-71 supercharger for your big block Chevy.

Your problem is that you're looking for some sort of logic, when there really isn't any. When I lived in CA, I owned many modified vehicles that would never pass the visual test, as the exhaust or carburetor was not CARB approved. But they were so much more efficient than the factory items that the guy doing the smog check would look the other way, as long as it passed the tailpipe test. Those days are long over, as the expense of the machine and testing license is no longer worth the risk. The irony is that CA clean air laws, like their gun laws, are simply not working.

7. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

:D:D:D, sorry. That was funny though...;)