Shoe covers?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Hazy, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Read Rola's thread about his Hydroskin socks and that might be an option, but wanted to ask about shoe covers.

I'm with Rola that getting cold just plain sux. I got a pair of PI gloves that have made it possible for me to ride in colder weather ( 25 F or so ) but my feet get numb. So far it has not impeded me as my rides are relatively short, but next year I am hoping will be a different story.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I wear PI Cyclone toe covers down to about 25 to 27. Very happy with those. Not bulky, fit over the shoe well, and I hardly notice they are there.

I have the PI Amfib shoe cover for colder than that. A little disappointed in these. A little bulky and seem to be hard to stretch over my cleats yet have excess that bunches at the heel. Very warm, though. I've worn these for road riding in temps as low as the single digits.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

One more thing I really like about the toe covers is their versatility. By having various weights of socks, I can use these toe covers from about 45-50 degrees all the way to 25 degrees.

4. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Thanks Xela, I had been looking at the PI toe covers, so that may just tip the scale.

Anyone else got an opinion???

5. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

What kind of socks are you wearing?

7. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Lol when its cold I have some wool hunting socks I put on cause its all I got for now :eek:

That being said, they work well when in a regular shoe, but my roadbike shoes (clipless) have vents in them, which will be great in warm weather, not so much in cold weather.

Been reading your socks review thread btw.;)

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Your hunting socks don't have the mix of yarns or the correct density. I would suggest that you combine the shoe covers with a high quality cycling sock. Your feet will thank you.

On a somewhat related note, when I ride my motorcycle to work in the winter, I wear a lined jacket, heavy gloves, and waterproof overpants. While I'm toasty warm, the cold still sneaks into my boots around the laces. Grrr.