Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go! Been riding for about a year now. Ride a hybrid with flat pedals. I usually ride about 1 hour to maybe 1 1/2 hours, average about 14 mph. I'm thinking I may need to go to shoes with clips. Any ideas about if switching will be of benefit at my level? Suggestions on shoe/pedal combo? Don't want to spend a ton but... Thanks!

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
If they are going to stay on a hybrid I would choose something along the lines of a Shimano PD-M324 SPD Dual Platform pedal. That way you still have platforms and still be able to clip in when you want. Just my thought on it. I don't think I would go SPD SL or LOOK or anything.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm a platform pedal fan myself, I just don't see the need for clips/clipless shoe/pedal combos.
to each his own, and different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Think I may give the m324's a try. Any ther suggestions?
Pretty decent review of them here http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/pedal/shimano/pd-m324/prd_358193_135crx.aspx

My option on the pedals is you're either going to love clipless or not. There's not much middle ground. If you like them, you'll always be clipped in. You don't like them, you'll be back on platforms.

When I made the move to clipless, I did the same thing. I bought something similar to the 324's and I never used the platform portion and quickly moved to a PD-M540 pedal.

Let me look in the basement and see if I still have those pedals. If I do I'll send them to you if you want them. Save you a couple bucks and you can decide if you want o go clipless or not, Then spend your money on some real pedals.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! If you have them send me a message or reply here and we can figure it out! Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sorry man. I remembered that I put them on my hybrid when I sold it.

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
I'm a platform pedal fan myself, I just don't see the need for clips/clipless shoe/pedal combos.
to each his own, and different strokes for different folks.
I rode clipped-in on my rode bike, but not the MTB. I recently took the plunge and went to the Shimano Mountain Bike Pedal EPDM424, man what a difference they make when climbing. I like them because they're dual sided and have a cage around them which aids in support or if you don't get clipped in fast enough, you can still pedal.

·
889 Posts
I've always been a cllipless guy. I have the SPDs on my MTB and Look Keos for my road. For a hybrid, I'd probably go with SPDs since I would likely be getting off the bike a little more than I would with a road bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts