Shoes

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by ou2000, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ou2000

ou2000 New Member

I'm starting out new and fresh to cycling and I'm tired of wearing my tennis shoes while riding locally around the house, on paved trails or even in spin class when I can't get out. Are there different levels of shoes(beginner, experienced, etc.), what should one look for in a quality shoe, do they fit in the same manner are everyday shoes and what brands are better than other or should be avoided.
    Thank you.

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

If we are talking flat peddels, I found boat shoes to be the best, thay realy stick to the peddels, and thay have a nice stiffer sole. On my Absolute 1.0 I took off the toe clips and use the boat shoes seam to work real good no sliping off the peddel.

3. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

The fit of bike shoes are different than other shoes usually a little narrow. I would suggest you go to the store and try them on. I use mountain bike shoes as they are easier to walk in and if you decide to clip in later you just add the clip on. It made a big difference in how I felt after a long ride. My feet were not sore.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Are you looking for just shoes, or shoes and pedals. And what's your budget?

5. ou2000

ou2000 New Member

for right now shoes, but I will need pedals down the line so info on either is helpful. I'd like to stay under $150 but open to others that I can aspire to or look for good deals.

6. Industry_Hack

Do you need to walk in them too, (like social rides that end at coffee shops/restaurants) or strictly for riding?

7. Industry_Hack

You really need to start at a bike shop for shoes, since there are too many variables, and everyone has different feet.

I like laces, for the best fit. Velcro straps are easier to adjust "on the fly", and offer a more custom fit than a buckle. Most shoes have a mix of the three. All cycling shoes have a stiff sole for power transfer, which makes walking in them somewhere between a bit unpleasant to very difficult. My preference for MTB riding in dry SoCal was a skate type shoe that was SPD compatible. In Australia, where it was a bit more humid (we lived right on the coast) I found that a more aggressive shoe with traction cleats and toe spikes worked for when I had to get off the bike and push up hills, but sucked for coffee shops. None of that would matter if you wore sandals to the gym and only wore your shoes for spin class. They do have shoes just for spinning now too.

You might be looking for road shoes, but the considerations are the same. Do a bit of research on your own, and come back with some more direct questions.

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

For just riding around with flat pedals, I would go with a skate shoe. Another shoe that I like is the Keen commuter sandal. They are nice because you can use them with clipless pedals or flats. The Keen's probably would not be so good for a spin class though.

9. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

if you got the cash buy sidi these shoes will last forever and they are comfortable. If you don't have sidi money you can get shimano shoes at a great price mountain or road the choice is yours.

10. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

OK I will ask. What is a skate shoe and wher can I find them ? :confused:

11. Industry_Hack

They look like a skateboarding sneaker, but have a stiff sole for cycling.

12. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

Shoes are like saddles and frames in that what works for one may not work for you. Companies make their toe boxes differently as well as their heel cups and soles.

So, try on every pair of shoes that you can and one day one will just fit better and be way more comfortable than the rest and that shoe is not always the most expensive or best known brand out there.

13. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Vans. or find a local mall, and go in the skateboard shop. There's several brands that make flat-soled shoes that are pretty comfy. Usually they'll have a clearance pile, too.