Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not far from my house to work. Just a bit over 5 miles. I like commuting to work and would like to get the most out of the ride. I just go as fast as possible. I can average about 21 going home and 17 going to work. Am I getting any benefit from this short of an effort?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, he like a the suffer..... I was wondering if a 15 to 20 minute ride was of much use even at a high effort level. I suppose it can't hurt anything. If you get the legs burnin' something has got to improve! I totally got the humor in the first post. No problem. Have a good one!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Try breaking it up to hit your :30, 3:00 and 5:00 energy systems one way. Use on of the rides to recover, I'd say 2-3x/week for that kind of intensity to avoid over doing it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
On a side note, SportTracks did a beautiful job graphing that :). I got get that one set up,very nice!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like Sport tracks a lot. I find I usually compare mileage by month and year mostly. Always seems to report a slightly different mileage than Garmin TC. Don't know why.

Thanks INTEGRATE. I usually try and get in 10 to 15 miles on the way to work, but on those mornings when I want to sleep, I just head straight to work. Looks like I can try backing off the effort once or twice and recover on the 5 mile ride.

I have noticed lately (past year) that the heart rate has droped off quite a bit. For years, my heart rate ran regularly in the 160 to 170 range while riding. It is now in te 140 to 150 range with the legs feeling the same level of effort. I am assuming that I crossed some fitness plateau and that is not just 44 years catching up with me. I should say that I have only been seriously cycling since probably 2006 and my mileage has gone up quite a bit the past couple of years.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the heart rate thing, my max that I have seen has been about 198. This year I know I have seen the 180's near 190. Never pushed it hard enough to feel like I was gonna puke until this year. Haven't puked yet, but came close once or twice.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will it be Charlie the unicorn? Don't know if you saw that one, but it was a ridiculous internet vid a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I am a believer in short intense rides combined with your distance rides. I do 30 min of intervals with a 5 minute break. Then length of your interval/rest periods can differ. I was doing 30 seconds on and 2 minutes off, but I have moved to 45/45.

If you have hills to do hill repeats that will be awesome! I envy you hill dwellers. Hope when yall ride your hills you think of this poor flatlander.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts