Should I be carrying a spare connecting link?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by ksr5, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ksr5

ksr5 Active Member Tavern Member

I have heard that the 10 speed chains brake a lot is this true and should I be carrying a spare connecting link. I ride for exercise and shift easy with no pressure on pedals and I don't abuse my bike at all.

2. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I have a ten speed rear cassette.
    No broken chain.
    I do not shift up several gears at once while pedaling hard, though either.

No, I do not carry a connecting link. But I do carry a chain breaker. I could remove the broken link and just leave the chain 1 link shorter until I get time to repair it.
    I also never broke a chain while on a ride...

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I also ride 10 speed. I've never broken a chain on the road, and I'm not the easiest on my gears. I get about 4 to 5000 miles out of a chain, and in the 5 years I've been running 10 speed I haven't had one break. But then again, the only time I've need my chain tool which I carry every ride was to help a guy on the bike path fix his chain (old, rusty, non-10 speed, BTW). So, I guess we all might have somethings that make us a little over-prepared. That is until we need it. Being such a small part, I'd say if it in any way makes you feel better having it, there's no reason not to.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

We broke a 9 speed chain (the timing chain) on our tandem once. I would have given anything to repair that on the road.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well here is my take. It's light and cheap. You may never need it. Some will call it wasted weight. IF you are racing every portion of an ounce matters, but are you racing? If its just for exercise its not such a big deal, unless the exercise is for a race and even then its no big deal.

Yet if you are 15 miles from home, its hot and you are not the type to want to sit by the side of the road while someone comes out to pick you up, that link could be a very welcome addition to your repair kit. I think I have only broken a chain once, but I carry a link. I hate to walk home these days.

6. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

it weighs almost nothing. is worth having in your bag, IMO. (having broken a chain on a ride and not having a link)

7. georgec

georgec Member

I carry one. If I am going to carry a extra tube I might as well have a link with me as well and all the tools to fix it with.

8. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

my bike i ride hard is an 11spd... never broken a chain. i shift hard and hammer but i am light. nonetheless i carry everything needed to fix it if it ever does break. like everyone said the weight added is almost not measurable.
    i keep my gear clean and change things when there is signs of wear this may also help.

9. Industry_Hack

You're a little thing, and probably easy on gear. We were about to cross a quiet street, and a truck was at the far end. Right as I stood on it to sprint across the road, my stoker hesitated and stopped pedaling. That chain didn't stand a chance against 200lbs of Russian-American mountain biker. Because it was the timing chain, there was nothing to absorb the energy like a drive train might, so it just snapped in two.

Grrr!!!!!!!!!!!

10. SprocketGirl

very true... very true.
    i did fold a cassette on my mtb do to shifting down from 21 to 19 while standing mashing up a steep climb. my fault not srams....

11. ksr5

ksr5 Active Member Tavern Member

SprocketGirl you should have your own shop you already have the name.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I would rather ride my bike home as a single speed, than walk it home as a 30 speed. So yes I carry a quick link.

13. Industry_Hack

That's not so uncommon.

14. froze

froze Banned

I've never broken a chain in over 40 years of riding. But just as Jeepster said, it's not a big deal if you do as long as you have a chain tool; just remove the broken link and reattach the chain. With a link shorter chain you probably won't be able to go into your highest and lowest gear...no big deal. But this really only works for road bikes, if your on your mountain bike and are riding off road in some technical/difficult stuff you may want your first gear, so in that event I would carry a couple of links.

15. SprocketGirl

i like this plan... i almost have enough bikes as well. lol
    i am thinking small shop, that sells parts has a few italian road bikes and does repairs. located somewhere in the northeast region of france the closer to the birth place of Jeanne d'Arc the better. maybe we could sell unusual beers from the side door. to be drank on the patio.
    whom... never really thought about this before :rolleyes:

froze makes a great point my multi-tool has a chain tool... so on the road bike that is all i need.

16. DirtyBobbysBikes

DirtyBobbysBikes Rollin Solo like Han...

This is something i've been thinking about for years. My ideas have absolutely nothing to do with france though, or beer for that matter.

17. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

SG- France?

Not even in a nightmare...

18. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

She is French jeepster. For her its going home.

19. SprocketGirl

yep... not southern france, but northern is all good!

20. j3rd

j3rd Jay

A link and a chain tool are like car insurance- something you hope you never have to use but glad when you do. I broke a chain on a trail in Land Between the Lakes, KY. Glad I had packed a chain tool, that would have been a really long walk back. If you ride back country or long distance it pays to be self-sufficient. Someday, somewhere, something is always going to break. With my luck it'll be where there is no cell phone coverage.