Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I live about 25 miles from my job (security manager) and its mainly backroads and country highways from my house to work (no stop lights, very rural area). I think I can do it on my mountain bike as I ride 30-40 miles a lot throughout the week (in one setting, each). However, I work second shift from 3:30 PM to 11:30 PM, riding at night is what bothers me. Would you all recommend I give it a shot or should I just stick to my truck?

·
1,200 Posts
if you do decide to do it i would highlight suggest a bit more than just a small tail light and headlight set

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Start with a couple of days a week. Five days/week, 250 miles/week is a lot and could burn you out on riding. Work up three, four, five days a week. When you commute five days, the next week you might want to ride to work only two times. Play it as it comes, keep it fun. Riding to work is a great way to make the most of time spent commuting because you're getting exercise at the same time, instead of sitting in your truck. :thumbsup:

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,370 Posts
+1 to Bones' comment on lights. Forget weight; instead, think more is better. You need to see where you're going and, almost more importantly, you need to BE SEEN, front, back and from both sides. Reflectors are nice, but active illumination makes you visible from much farther away, even to the bonehead who forgot to turn on his headlights. Invest in rechargeable batteries, and carry spares. Think eBay - you don't have to spend a lot, and the savings in fuel will offset what you do spend. Finally, it might be worth talking to the local police about when and where they tend to find drunks - if it happens frequently on one of your commuting roads, I might consider an alternate route ;) Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Did you say stick to my truck???!!! get the best of both worlds put the bike in the truck and ride to a reasonable distance from work, maybe start out with 10 miles in. Park at a mall or supermarket. after doing that for a while you can increase distance or change routes if you get bored by parking elsewhere.:cool:

·
215 Posts
Did you say stick to my truck???!!! get the best of both worlds put the bike in the truck and ride to a reasonable distance from work, maybe start out with 10 miles in. Park at a mall or supermarket. after doing that for a while you can increase distance or change routes if you get bored by parking elsewhere.:cool:
This is a great idea.

Riding 25 miles one way to work requires some preparation too. You just don't hop on your bike and go. You have to be able to fix almost anything that can go wrong on the side of the road, including carrying spare tire and a spare tube along with a patch kit; mini tool, etc. And because your going to work you need to leave about 30 minutes earlier then you planned on due to the possibility of breakdowns. Breakdowns or flats could cost you your job; so knowing that you need to take certain precautions like better flat resistant tires would be a great starting point along with the repair kit.

Light's are a great aid for your life and well being. More is better then one, meaning it's better to have two headlights, one on the bars and one on the helmet rather then just one light. Cygolite ExpiliOn 350 (350 lumens) is about $75 on Amazon or $89 for a 410 lumen light, get two of those and your light system in the front is very good. Rear light more is better again. I have a Serfas USL-TL60 ("The Shield") as my main rear, along with a Cateye LD600 on the helmet, and a set of Soma Road Flares on the bars, combined and they put on quite a show at night. There are other good front and rear lights too, that was just an example.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts