Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would get some input. I am a roadie. I primarily ride my road bike and I mean like 90 percent of the time. I wanted a bike to commute to work and then maybe do a lunch ride, so I bought a 'cross bike and put a rear rack on it. I also ride the 'cross bike on the road when my road bike is down. Recently, my daughter learned to ride and we bought her a fairly nice XS hardtail. The 'cross bike takes a few commutes to work but is mostly idle. I have tried a couple 'cross races, but jumping the barriers and back onto that seat.... well........ We go to the bike path and she wants to hit the single track a bit. That is a bit sketchy on the 'cross bike. While at the trail, my wife pulls the youngest on a trailer cycle. So I want a more upright bike where I can ride really slow and visit a lot. I am thinking of getting a hardtail 29'er like the Specialized Carve. It has rack mounts so I could use the rack, and the fork has lockout for road riding. Trying to decide if I would be happy on the 29'er with smaller roadish MTB tires. Of course I would like to own 3 bikes but $$$ and time to ride 3 bikes are the issues. I'd also like to do some longer dirt road rides with friends that I think the 29'er would be fine for. Of course I'd love a Moots Moto-X with the YBB, but that aint happenin'. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I know people that ride singletrack on CX bikes, some of them added brake levers to the flats for a more upright riding position. If portaging the bike and then getting back on the saddle is a problem, maybe look at a new saddle. I had a Pro Logo Kappa Pas saddle and I almost sold the bike due to the pain I was in. A proper fit that measured my pelvic bones led to me a Selle Italia Max Flight/Flight Max and I can ride all day without discomfort. This might be something to consider. . .

As far as a MTB on the road, I think you might be better with 26" wheels rather than 29". I have not seen road-ish tires in the 29" size. Not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't seen them. I do know there are a ton of road friendly 26" tires out there than can still hold their own on the dirt. Also rememebr that MTB are typically geared lower than a road bike, this is great for off-road but you'll be working harder to maintain the same speed as on a road bike.

It may make sense to swap out the bars on your CX bike, but you may have to change shifters/brake levers as well.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! I have thought about the bar top levers, and probably will do that if I keep the bike. I got a screamin' deal on a Ridley Crossbow '09 model, with a full SRAM Rival group, so the bike is worth keeping. The problem with 'cross racing is actually leaping into the air and landing "properly" on the saddle. As far as tires go, the guy at the LBS told me that a 29er wheel is basically a 700 C wheel, so any 700 C tire would work. I assume he knows what he is talking about, but why aren't the names the same? Didn't think about the gearing. That's a good one to think about.

It has been too long since I rode a hardtail MTB, so it is not fresh in my mind what having one of those is like. The MTB that I sold was a Trek Fuel 80 full suspension, so that comparison is no good. After the acupuncturist today, I may go by the shop before going back to work.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Don't let Xela see this , that he'll report you! Or are you his boss? I hear that Xela, on his way back to work stops off at the pet store to pet the puppies and make faces at the fish.

But I digress. . . .

I'm not sure about the 29/700c wheel but just thinking, a wide 29" tire wouldn't be the best fit for 28-35c sized wheel. I may be completely wrong on that but just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I hear that Xela, on his way back to work stops off at the pet store to pet the puppies and make faces at the fish.
:D Who told? I did stop the group ride the other day so I could move a baby bird out of the street. Even though I did put it under the tree where the nest was, I'm not confident the little guy was going to make it not being able to fly yet. But he had a better chance there than in the street.

Plus, Xela knows all. Mars can't hide anything from me, but as long as he keeps the hush payments coming, he's good.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my best Obi Wan Kenobi voice.....

"These are not the droids you seek.... You don't remember anything......"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts