Two Spoke Forums banner
341 - 360 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
When you say 'strip' - do you mean it as in singular, like trying it on just one leg?

Because what happens if the strip idea works so well that you're tremendously faster on just one side and subsequently you can only ride in circles until you grow a strip on the other leg?
In my mind this was exactly what I pictured. Not just circles but really really fast circles.

·
Rat Biker
444 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,645 Posts
I think I just threw up a little
Joint Leg Shorts Thigh Flooring

·
425 Posts
I started shaving my legs 5 years ago... saw some old guys on the spring Solvang Double Century that did. I had used the beard trimmers on them for a few years during the summer when I put the sunblock on heavily. It feels good and I dont mind the look... not sure I have a performance boost. I have had 2 crashes, and it does make it easier to change bandages. If you like it, shave, if you dont, then dont.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,487 Posts
Back in the 90's, I knew a crazy bad @$$ MTB dude who claimed to shave his legs in order to save time at the ER :eek:. The worst part was, his hide was sufficiently pocked with scars that it never occurred to me to question his assertion.

He actually had scars on his scars. His elbows and knees were all covered in big patches of scar tissue which looked more like raw meat than skin, even when fully 'healed'. Plenty of others, too, but the knees and elbows really stood out. That may have had something to do with the fact that he rode, more than anyone I've known, as though it was simply impossible for him to crash, regardless of terrain or speed.

His skills and fitness level were such that most of the time, he was right. When he came up wrong, it was often the kind of wrong which leads to blood, bandages, and sometimes the need for professional medical intervention. I'm sorry to have lost touch with him.

·
tall old member
1,410 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't freeze off when doing the polar plunge?
That could be, I never thought about that. It is such a seasonal change that it's hard to believe. I have even wondered if the long sleeves and long pants might abrade the hairs away but heck even in the summer I wear jeans some of the time.

·
208 Posts
Like many sports that originated in Europe, cycling is not very popular with Americans. The activity, like soccer and cricket, are seen as easier and less masculine sports than activities like baseball and football. But anyone who’s seen the Tour de France for themselves know this is far from the fact. The truth is that professional cycling is one of the hardest endurance sports and requires a certain individual to reach the competitive level. However, the reality that most pro cyclists shave their legs and arms doesn’t lend any credence to the debate.

As a new spectator of this sport, I’ve begun to question the legitimate need for these athletes to shave their legs. Or perhaps more relevantly, I wonder if pros are doing it should recreational cyclist also? To answer that question, let’s look at some of the claimed advantages of shaving one’s extremities.

Wounds

The main reason cyclists shave is its benefits in the healing process of road rash, a patch of skin taken off from a crash. When there’s no hair on your legs, it’s noticeably easier to clean the wound. Also, there is little possibility of hair getting trapped in the wound as it dries.

Tape

Having a smooth surface allows for easier application of Kinesio Tex Tape, or elastic therapeutic tape, which helps treat injuries.

Aerodynamics

While shaving your legs does reduce the amount of body drag, the gain is so small as to be almost nonexistent. With the advent of skinsuits that actually produce less drag than human skin, the only advantage here is physiological. Thinking you’re just a little bit faster than your opponent can have a significant impact on where you finish.

Massage

Shaved legs make it easier for masseurs to glide over the muscles, especially when the deeper muscles get worked on. (You don’t want hair to get ripped out during what is supposed to be a pleasant experience.)

Do you shave your legs? Leave a response below.
I have been Shaving my
Legs since I was 16year old riding my Bicycle. and Now I really don't have any hair on my Legs. and I am 52yrs old and I am doing Bicycle Touring

·
208 Posts
Did you race when you were younger?
Yes I did some Bicycle Racing in the Pocono MTNS in PA and Northwest New Jersey and I was 4 bicycle races that I have done. and now I am doing Stealth Bicycle Camping and Bicycle Touring on my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Rotorcraft Bicycle part Automotive tire Bicycle tire Helicopter rotor

·
Two skinny J's
21,645 Posts
341 - 360 of 370 Posts