Featured Should We Shave Our Legs?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by passionispain, Sep 16, 2011.

1. slowcarb

slowcarb New Member

I don't shave my legs, but I do trim the hair down with hair clippers. Usually put the #2 guard on the clippers and get all that nasty neanderthal looking hair off my body.

2. Jahwarrior

Jahwarrior Member

As just your regular grooming agenda? or to cut down on wind resistance for biking?

I think shaving your hair for biking is laughable, it actually makes me laugh, well... maybe giggle a little when I read that some consider it/do it.

3. trx1

trx1 New Member

most retarded thing ive ever heard of....men shaving there legs...ill never do that!!

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

We can always count on your for a positive, grammatically-correct post. A real contribution to the site.

5. slowcarb

slowcarb New Member

Regular grooming agenda. I don't think less hair is going to make a significant difference in speed on a bicycle for the recreationalist. However, for the serious racer; it might be the difference between winning and looseing a really close race. Besides; chicks dig it! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Okay, so your masculinity and sexual preference is tied to your body hair? Glad I'm more secure with myself than that.

I like the heightened sensitivity that comes with losing the leg hair; I also like the increased definition of muscle (it's why bodybuilders and pro wrestlers do it).

You do what you like; but to even insinuate that it's less manly is delusional.

7. CTD50

Can't reach the back, but I do the arms; I prefer to be smooth.

8. froze

froze Banned

body builders and pro wrestlers when posing put oil on them too for more pronounce definition under the camera...maybe we cyclists could do that too? Maybe the oil might make us slip through the air faster, I know the women will love it...they may want some of the oil on them!

9. Jahwarrior

Jahwarrior Member

I'm gonna try it!
    Gonna get a big ole bottle of baby oil and lube up for my next ride - I bet I shave seconds off of my regular trail time!
    and I'll be all cut and shiny and manly

Dragonfly5 likes this.
  10. CTD50

I'd think twice about which oil I used, if I was doing that; remember:

They make vegetable oil out of vegetables;
    they make peanut oil out of peanuts;
    so what do you think they make baby oil out of?
    lol

11. froze

froze Banned

Is that why the picture of your face is on fire?

12. tallframe

tallframe New Member

Suppose I left a stip of fur strait down my shin.
    Think it would look Punk?.

13. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

LMAO! That would be punk and I double dog dare ya to do it! Oh and of course, pictures or it didn't happen!

14. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

I am also a swimmer as well as a cyclist. Swimmers shave their legs as well. I never have until one day in the shower I decided to try it. My wife freaked and said Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, why did you shave your legs? Don't ever do that again. So much for that. I think my massage therapist liked it.;)

15. Jahwarrior

Jahwarrior Member

You'd call those "racing stripes"

It would most likely give you a more racey look... and I bet you'd go faster.

16. Tedzo

Tedzo Who put that curb there?

I do shave my legs...but only up just past my shorts tan line. I find that after a few hours of riding the air moving across the hair on my legs becomes irritating, meaning there is an actual sensation of fine pain. Is that just me? Anyone know what I mean?

17. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I can honestly say I have never heard that before.

18. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

shaved legs, ect.

The reason I thought that people shave there legs is that when you crash(and you will) the extra hair gets in the wound and keeps if from healing up quickly. I have had this problem the last few times I ate it big on my road bike. it was not fun cleaning the area around the "road rash".

As far as I know nobody does it for aerodynamic reasons. In fact a the hair on your legs might cause a boundary layer to form on your skin and make the air flow around your legs easier. Much like the dimples on a golf ball.

mike

19. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

IF i ever crash bad enough that the hair on my legs is a problem, there is one thing of which you can rest assured. I will be at a doctor that is willing to administer enough of the happy stuff that I won't feel a thing when he is getting hair out of my cuts. Yeah they might shave the portion where the bandage would go, but in my case after a few days, Id still be pull hair off.

Except for top flight racers, the aerodynamics is more or less a moot point. The speeds just are not high enough to make that much difference. Even with top riders on top equipment with engines at their peak performance, the advantage is probably as much psychological as anything. Even that can be an edge, but for Freds like me can you say when dork disks fly??