Featured Should We Shave Our Legs?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by passionispain, Sep 16, 2011.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

When thay put stickers on the race car one of the nascar teams found out that the car went faster if the stickers were lose on the edg and flaping , it would brake up the boundry layer = less drag.

2. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Some Europeans have more hair than the typical yankee. I'd say it's more a social issue than a sports issue.
    The only hair I've found necessary to crop is the hair-down-there. Bike shorts can really get to pulling on the short hairs when you get a little sweaty.

3. Moto700

Moto700 New Member

I have been know to during the summer. I feel it keeps my legs cooler and helps sweat to evaporate faster. If this is actually the case or not I don't know or care. It just seems that way and that's good enough for me. Plus there are the issues such as Mark (above mentioned). During the winter/ cooler months I sport a full pelt.

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Wild aerodynamics is such a fine art that such a gain would be difficult. Yes it might work like that if you do it EXACTLY right, but have the sticker tear, and any gain could be lost and then some. Have it pull just a little further, and again no gain or a loss.

A turbulent airflow is sometimes preferred over a laminar airflow, but its not always for reasons of low drag. A turbulent airflow often is more stable, and is MUCH easier to maintain than a laminar airflow. Not seen the data for a current cup car, but I highly doubt its even close to laminar flow, and after the first corner anyone takes within a straightaway of the Kyle Busch, I know its not. The only one he hasn't hit this year is the pace car.

5. ak08820

ak08820 New Member

I am riding a bike since I was a kid and it never occurred to me that shaving my legs will make it any better, wounds or not. I usually had 1 cut a week somewhere on my body when growing up and nowdays 1 per month - just got 2 in my hands yesterday while working on a showerhead.

Also, I wonder why babseball is more musculine than cricket? Is it because the players scratch their crotch openly and spit around? I have spent last 29 years in the US and have never watched a single baseball game (or football or cricket). But I have memories of playing and watching cricket and it seems it was more lively than baseball.

6. mom_of_3_ts

mom_of_3_ts Senior Member

Um ..... i happen to like a man who is shaved .. It is just nice.. I don't care if he rides or not.. any stubble is gross be it from head to toe it must go lol ( I made a funny and it rhymed hahah )

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Mark I was going back a ways befor thay wraped the cars back when thay painted them I know that NASCAR put a stop to the sticker thing so it must of worked. You know back when thay pulled the fender out in the front on Jef Gordons car every time he pitted.

I am sorry for getting off the subject.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  8. ak08820

ak08820 New Member

There was a show on beach behavior on the travel channel and they insinuated that hairy men should shave their backs and chest. What will be next, men will have to wear pantyhose for being socially acceptable?

9. Moto700

Moto700 New Member

Actually, when I bike in cold weather I wear panty hose as a cheap base layer under my clothing. A lot less bulky and cheaper than the stuff you can buy that's made to wear as a base. With socks and pants who notices? Provides an extra layer of insulation. Ask any woman that wears them during hot weather, or cold. Just a little trick I picked up in jump school in the Army. Gets a little cold when you jump out of an airplane at 30,000 feet.

10. Moto700

Moto700 New Member

LOL! A woman after my own heart!

11. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Nascar stops things for a lot of reasons, and having a technological advantage is one of the surest ways to get them to ban it, unless that it is they show it to every other team out there. Still in Nascar or cycling, if you are racing more horsepower would definitely help out far more, and time is far better spent improving the engine than wondering how much gain you get from shaving your legs. Few things in life are more permanent is a temporary tax, few things is life are more flexible than a Nascar rule. The rule book is written in Number 2 pencil for a reason and no one outside the sport gets to read it. Anyone that gets to see the rule book gets to be under the thumb of those writing the rules. hmmm

Now at the top levels of the sport, aerodynamics makes some sense. All are in top condition and finding that little bit is much harder, but at cycling speeds even that seems a bit foolish. Having to brake early for one corner to take up all the advantage you would gain for the entire race.

At 30,000 feet its always cold. Good reason NOT to jump out of a good airplane, Guess you don't always get asked but whether anyone notices or not, ain't no way I would admit to wearing panty hose in a public forum. Reminds me a Lewis Grizzard line. "D%#@ brother. Don't believe I'd have told that."

When Mom becomes a centerfold, I MIGHT think about it but till then NO WAY.

12. mom_of_3_ts

Thank you but that's just the way I lol

13. Moto700

Moto700 New Member

LOL, well you jump when it's part of the job. Don't care what anyone thinks about the pantyhose. It works for me and someone else opinion is not going to keep my legs warm.

14. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

This pretty well sums it up. Words from the pros. I agree with Davis Phinney that wound care is the principle reason to shave and in my understanding it's more about the pain of bandage removal from hairy vs. shaved legs and much less about ease of cleaning wounds or decreased risk of infection.

15. mom_of_3_ts

I still like a man who is clean cut and clean shaven just about every where and if he wants to use his bike as an excuse so be it

16. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

I shave my face three or four times a year.

17. mom_of_3_ts

I guess that's better than not at all :)
    it amazes me that a little bit of hair can make a difference with speed. but how many women race and how any of them shave their heads????

18. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

If you are a professional bike racer I say go for it. If you are not this is the Holy Grail of being a Fred.

Now a little tasteful man-scaping, yes.

19. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

then a Fred I will always proudly be my friend :D

20. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

May you and your razor be forever happy then. 8)