Featured Should We Shave Our Legs?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by passionispain, Sep 16, 2011.

1. SixtyPlus

SixtyPlus New Member

John, the looks or the razor either one beat the hell out of the alternatives!! Congrats on your recovery!!

2. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Thanks Sixty! Sometimes these "Golden Years" seem more like "Rusty Years" when you pass a certain age. I'm fortunate that the leukemia I have is of the chronic type and is controlled very well with very expensive medication. No chemo necessary. I never had any symptoms of the disease and only found out I had it when I went for an annual physical and the blood tests came back.

3. mhebert88

mhebert88 New Member

When hair is the only thing separating me from going pro...then I'll shave. That is about 30 lbs and 1,000,000 miles from now...so basically never.

4. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I see shaving as time away from riding.
    For me, I'd rather ride.

5. bikertank

bikertank Senior Member

Made myself a promise to shave my legs as soon as I got rid of my gut - no danger of that happening this summer - but still working on it !

6. omnivox42

omnivox42 New Member Tavern Member

I am confident enough in my masculinity that I shave my legs. Its comfortable and I like it so there :cool:

When I shave I use a dull razor fabricated out of sharks teeth to add extra man card points to balance out.

7. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

It's the thread that just won;t die....

8. John_V

I think leg shaving and clipless pedals seems to be the big two on almost all the bike forums that I'm on. They're like that little bunny that just keeps on going. :)

9. zero3one

zero3one Member

I can't believe I never noticed or responded in this one till now...

I shave in the summer when my cycling season begins. I like the look of it, it really brings out the definition in my legs. And yes, I've actually had people comment on them.

I also find the wind blowing through the hair on my legs annoying. As well, I have eaten road rash a few times and find cleaning and bandaging a lot easier with shaved legs. It doesn't look out of place on me since my arms and body are not hairy anyways.

10. John_V

Before the hair started coming back and the legs were hairless, this is the part that I really liked about it. With no hair, the wound also heals much faster and pulling the bandages off is painless.

11. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

I actually had a buddy back in my MTB days who shaved for easier wound management. He was also utterly fearless and not afraid to push himself and his equipment. The strategy made sense and paid off thanks to his frequency of crashes. OMG. Crazy man. Fun to ride with, though.

I might shave for wound management if I was driven to ride that way. These days I ride a touring bike on mostly pavement. I'm not a racer and haven't done any group rides. If I did, I'd already be so far from the 'proper' cyclist look that shaved legs would be moot: my Camelbak, for one, goes out when I do. Baggy shorts over padded undershorts, old sneakers, platform pedals with toe clips. MTB helmet with visor. Often, my 'jersey' is a synthetic light-weight T-shirt. I could go on, but will take mercy on the 'proper' cyclists out there :D

I ultimately find my urge to shave more than satisfied by my daily face-scraping ritual. I have nothing against those who do shave, but it's pointless for me. I'm just here to ride :)

12. agentkratzer

agentkratzer Junior Member

I do shave my legs, and you're more than welcome to admire them...if you can catch up to me. ;)

13. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member Tavern Member

My hairy legs would run you down so you can admire the back of my shaved head.:D

14. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

since i am here for exercise, and not racing, shaving my legs is pointless. i want more wind drag to make me work harder. and if i shaved my legs, they would be skinny chicken legs. right now, i get a half inch more diameter "look" with unshaven legs, ha ha ha.

15. rola643

Can't argue with that logic!!

16. John_V

I'm from the old school where guys just don't wear earrings or shave their legs. When I was diagnosed with leukemia, the medicine that I have to take caused me to lose some of my body hair, including my legs. Then came the prostate cancer and the hormone treatments that I had to take for it and the rest of my body hair pretty much vanished. I was on the hormone treatment for three years which meant shaved legs by prescription drugs. Since I've been off the hormone treatments (going on 2 years) the hairs on my leg have started to grow back in small and uneven patches making the legs look pretty bad. So about two months ago, I got tired of it and shaved off what little hair grew back. Now when it starts to grow back, I shave it off. I still won't wear an earring. :D

17. rola643

C'mom man! How about a fancy nose ring then??? :D

18. John_V

Sorry about that! I forgot that I got one of those the day I got married. :eek: After 43 years, you forget it's there. :D

19. rola643

Touche!

20. synack

synack The Back Row

Glad to see you doing better, that's quite a story. I can't imagine what you must have went through. Thank you for sharing.

What about a dress?