Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to who is doing this and how you see your riding performance from week to week.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Not I. I do pushups (different styles) and some ab work. I am looking into some core workouts and kettlebell (core) workouts. I would have to get a gym membership for weight access.

·
Registered
823 Posts
During the winter I lift with my set of Powerblock dumbbells and a swiss ball. Stabilizer muscles are a must. I do a total body workout (one set for each body part) 12-15 reps. Not worried about size, just want to stay strong and at my age (48) that's important. Plus, when you lift, you burn more calories in the days after your workout than any aerobic exercise. At least that is what I've read.

Now that I'm riding I usually lift (upper body only) 2x a week or at least do some push ups. However, I work my core every chance I get and this is a tremendous help. I definitely notice a difference on the longer rides.

This past winter however, I was completely lazy and didn't do anything. Once I got on my bike in April I was 10 lbs overweight and couldn't pedal for crap.
I wish I had lifted and worked on my legs in the off season. I did last year and I noticed the difference especially when I was climbing.

·
889 Posts
I weight train 3 to 5 times a week. I can't say if it helps my cycling any as I do it to stay in overall fitness and I've always been fitter than the average guy.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lmiles64 said:
During the winter I lift with my set of Powerblock dumbbells and a swiss ball. Stabilizer muscles are a must. I do a total body workout (one set for each body part) 12-15 reps. Not worried about size, just want to stay strong and at my age (48) that's important. Plus, when you lift, you burn more calories in the days after your workout than any aerobic exercise. At least that is what I've read.

Now that I'm riding I usually lift (upper body only) 2x a week or at least do some push ups. However, I work my core every chance I get and this is a tremendous help. I definitely notice a difference on the longer rides.

This past winter however, I was completely lazy and didn't do anything. Once I got on my bike in April I was 10 lbs overweight and couldn't pedal for crap.
I wish I had lifted and worked on my legs in the off season. I did last year and I noticed the difference especially when I was climbing.
Make sure you add in body weight single leg work. It will help you maintain hip mobility, glute strength and power climbing. Unfortunately that's one of the things most cyclists toss out of their routines when it's one of the most important things to work on!

Try some standing anti rotation holds too.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I rotate weight training (arms, chest, back and shoulders) after most rides. Low to med weight and higher reps.
Also, ab work with each of these.

Although I feel certain this helps with riding, I've been doing it for so long, I don't have a before in memory to compare to.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dos_Ruedas said:
I rotate weight training (arms, chest, back and shoulders) after most rides. Low to med weight and higher reps.
Also, ab work with each of these.

Although I feel certain this helps with riding, I've been doing it for so long, I don't have a before in memory to compare to.
Post ride should be posterior chain (back half of body) to "undue" what cycling does to the front of your body (which is pretty close it up, and you need to open it in the other direction).

So this means glutes, lats, rhomboids, rear delts and spinal erectors.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dos_Ruedas said:
Interesting.
Give it a shot, I'd be surprised of you didn't feel better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've been working out with a Senior RKC and a lot of different RKC instructors for over 2 years now.

I weight train 3-4 times a week and only bike on days when I don't hit the gym.

Majority of my workouts are with kettlebells but I love trx and battling ropes as well.

P.S.: Anyone in the Hampton Roads, VA area interested in learning proper kettlebell technique, come workout with me.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fez_ said:
I've been working out with a Senior RKC and a lot of different RKC instructors for over 2 years now.

I weight train 3-4 times a week and only bike on days when I don't hit the gym.

Majority of my workouts are with kettlebells but I love trx and battling ropes as well.

P.S.: Anyone in the Hampton Roads, VA area interested in learning proper kettlebell technique, come workout with me.
Very nice! Love the Get Up, swings, presses and goblets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts