Show us your fenders!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by ScottRyder, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

I'm pretty new to having fenders on any of my bikes but they really finish off the look of a classic ride. Here's my '73 Raleigh Competition with it's Italian finery that I put hammered Honjo's on. I'd love to see what others have done with their fenders.

[​IMG]

Scott

2. devinfan

devinfan New Member

Wow Scott, that looks stunning!

I love the hammered Honjo's. I was thinking of some of those for my Zeus, but it seems like they are a pain to mount and adjust. Did you find that to be the case? I also love your water bottle. What is that? And is that a cork for a stopper? I was looking for an old aluminum bottle with a cork stopper for my Cinelli but no luck so far. I don't have any fenders on my bikes, I'm afraid, but I can include a picture of an Aprilia on C-list with fenders that I am having to force myself not to buy:

Aprilia Italian Road Bike - Huret Components

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Scoot that bike is to nice for words :D

Devin I think you cold make a bottle from a small fire ext. thay are aluminum. I don't know if I would drink from one after it was washed but you might get the look you want.

4. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Hi Devin, thanks for the compliment!

The Honjo's aren't a pain really, they just need some patience and the reassurance the end result will be well worth it. The Competition is my third with Honjo's, by far the hammered version gets the most attention.

The bottle comes from here:

AccessoriesTools

They're out of stock at the moment and they're not cheap. I refuse to use plastic, the steel Klean Kanteens just don't cut it visually. They come with a cork and plastic straw but I put that aside and just use a regular cork. The bottles are anodized, I strip that off and once a year bring them up to a high polish. One would look awesome on your Cinelli! Yea, they're "reproductions" but I got sick of waiting for one to show on eBay.

I like the painted fenders on the Aprillia, sweet bike.

Scott

5. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Thanks!

Scott

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

7. mansram01

mansram01 New Member

Hey Scott. Really nice bike and fenders! Was contemplating fenders myself but not sure at this point. Had no idea you had a Raleigh. Very nice indeed.

8. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Thanks! I was thinking what your Mirella would look like with hammered fenders .... wow! Do you have clearance for them?

I've got more than one Raleigh, actually Raleigh's were my first "real" bike. Here's another with fenders:

[​IMG]

Scott

9. Industry_Hack

What's up with your brake levers?

10. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

They're Campy's ?

Scott

11. Industry_Hack

I was referring to the uncomfortable looking mounting position.

12. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Actually, quite comfortable. I tend to ride up on the ramps rather than the drops, my hands fit perfectly on the hoods. Pretty much the same position as on my Competition .. I don't race so it helps take the strain off my back and neck over long distance.

Scott

13. mansram01

mansram01 New Member

Wow, love that shade of blue. Another really nice one.

The Mirella has clearance for them. I just need to pull the trigger and do it. Shouldn't take me too long to decide. It's just that it looks so sporty without fenders... Maybe I'll hold off until fall.

14. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

1976 Columbia Sport III. In great shape. An early 80s Schwinn that needs some work. Lovin' the fenders!

Attached Files:

15. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Does anybody remember the day that the first thing you did was to take the fenders OFF of a new bike? Now I spend my time putting them back on ..

That Columbia looks awesome!

Scott

16. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Here's mine.......

I have trimmed off the stays since this photo was taken.

Attached Files:

17. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

Thanks! I have the women's one to match it. Working on selling it though as my wife loves the old Schwinn.

18. Retmuter

Retmuter Member

Absolutely love the look of Honjo's, but I'm a cheap [email protected][email protected]*d. And yes, I'm digging up another oldie.
    [​IMG]
    I started with Axiom Rainrunners missing some stays (cheap!).
    You can see I did a bit of cutting on the rear. the Marin has a vertical, threaded hole in the brake stay. Made mounting with a 1/2" spacer from the local hardware store the easiest way. The fronts are more difficult to trim and have a 'factory' look. If I go that far I'll get two sets of b60's and use one of the rears trimmed to fit and make an L bracket.
    BTW the bike is just off a heavy maintenance visit including fresh powder coat

19. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

Retmuter, if I ever decide to go antiquing I think I will take you along. :D

20. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I cannot believe i do not have a pic of my bike with fenders. Both recumbents have rear fender on all the time and i put the front on when i know the weather will be wet