Two Spoke Forums banner

Show us your fenders!

10K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Retmuter 
#1 ·
I'm pretty new to having fenders on any of my bikes but they really finish off the look of a classic ride. Here's my '73 Raleigh Competition with it's Italian finery that I put hammered Honjo's on. I'd love to see what others have done with their fenders.

Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow Scott, that looks stunning!

I love the hammered Honjo's. I was thinking of some of those for my Zeus, but it seems like they are a pain to mount and adjust. Did you find that to be the case? I also love your water bottle. What is that? And is that a cork for a stopper? I was looking for an old aluminum bottle with a cork stopper for my Cinelli but no luck so far. I don't have any fenders on my bikes, I'm afraid, but I can include a picture of an Aprilia on C-list with fenders that I am having to force myself not to buy:

Aprilia Italian Road Bike - Huret Components

#4 ·
Hi Devin, thanks for the compliment!

The Honjo's aren't a pain really, they just need some patience and the reassurance the end result will be well worth it. The Competition is my third with Honjo's, by far the hammered version gets the most attention.

The bottle comes from here:

AccessoriesTools

They're out of stock at the moment and they're not cheap. I refuse to use plastic, the steel Klean Kanteens just don't cut it visually. They come with a cork and plastic straw but I put that aside and just use a regular cork. The bottles are anodized, I strip that off and once a year bring them up to a high polish. One would look awesome on your Cinelli! Yea, they're "reproductions" but I got sick of waiting for one to show on eBay.

I like the painted fenders on the Aprillia, sweet bike.

Scott

#8 ·
Hey Scott. Really nice bike and fenders! Was contemplating fenders myself but not sure at this point. Had no idea you had a Raleigh. Very nice indeed.
Thanks! I was thinking what your Mirella would look like with hammered fenders .... wow! Do you have clearance for them?

I've got more than one Raleigh, actually Raleigh's were my first "real" bike. Here's another with fenders:

Scott

#12 ·
I was referring to the uncomfortable looking mounting position.
Actually, quite comfortable. I tend to ride up on the ramps rather than the drops, my hands fit perfectly on the hoods. Pretty much the same position as on my Competition .. I don't race so it helps take the strain off my back and neck over long distance.

Scott

#13 ·
Thanks! I was thinking what your Mirella would look like with hammered fenders .... wow! Do you have clearance for them?

I've got more than one Raleigh, actually Raleigh's were my first "real" bike. Here's another with fenders:

Scott
Wow, love that shade of blue. Another really nice one.

The Mirella has clearance for them. I just need to pull the trigger and do it. Shouldn't take me too long to decide. It's just that it looks so sporty without fenders... Maybe I'll hold off until fall.

#17 ·
Does anybody remember the day that the first thing you did was to take the fenders OFF of a new bike? Now I spend my time putting them back on ..

That Columbia looks awesome!

Scott
Thanks! I have the women's one to match it. Working on selling it though as my wife loves the old Schwinn.

#18 ·
Absolutely love the look of Honjo's, but I'm a cheap b@$t@*d. And yes, I'm digging up another oldie.

I started with Axiom Rainrunners missing some stays (cheap!).
You can see I did a bit of cutting on the rear. the Marin has a vertical, threaded hole in the brake stay. Made mounting with a 1/2" spacer from the local hardware store the easiest way. The fronts are more difficult to trim and have a 'factory' look. If I go that far I'll get two sets of b60's and use one of the rears trimmed to fit and make an L bracket.
BTW the bike is just off a heavy maintenance visit including fresh powder coat

#23 ·
back as a kid in socal, I noticed the local book stores would throw out books they couldn't sell after a while, so I would keep checking the dumpsters and grab anything that looked interesting when they tossed them. all they would do it tear the cover off and then throw the book in the dumpster. I got tons of books that way and I found some new ones I probably never would have looked at if I had to find them in the store. the sword of shannara series and its follow on sets, the chronicles of Thomas covenant, and some other books.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.