Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this new hydration system put on my Project one. No water bottle cages, bottles or tool pouches. I think I am going to like it. Only complaint thus far, a little bit on the expensive side. $80.00 bucks, still cheaper than 2 carbon cages and a tool pouch. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Did you have a specific reason for wanting this particular setup? That's pretty different fo sho! How much does it hold? I prefer to carry both water and some type of electrolyte, can you do that with your new setup? So you don't carry a spare tube or anything or do you put that in your jersey or something ? I think I would need to see that in person before I made a decision. Guess I got a few of my questions answered.

Keep us posted on how you like it, ease a maintenance, cleaning etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rei.com/product/815173/showers-pass-veleau-42-hydration-system-42-fl-oz?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-815173&mr:trackingCode=C1D0B459-B4C2-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CI_0xZ7D7a0CFQWDhwodzy975g

Showers Pass VelEau 42 hydration system offers 42 fl. oz. of liquid capacity, plus gear storage, in a seat-mounted design to free up your back and simplify rehydrating while on the bike!

With the saddle-mounted hydration reservoir, you can meet your hydration needs without having to carry a hydration pack or be limited by bottle cage mounts (or lack thereof)

Extending from the reservoir is a 47 in. tube that can be cut to fit your bike; tube is held in place against the frame with included mounts

Easy-access bite valve is connected to a retractable reel that's anchored with a strong magnet

To take a drink, simply grab the bite valve, bring it up to your mouth, drink, and then let the retracting cord and magnet re-secure bite valve—that's it!
The VelEau attaches to the bike with a seat post strap and a sturdy, ratcheting strap that goes through the saddle rails, keeping the system secure

Zippered stow pocket is great for stashing a patch kit, multitool and other ride essentials

Rear-facing attachment point lets you easily affix a rear blinky light (sold separately)

Wide-mouth opening makes it easy to refill the BPA-free 42 fl. oz. internal reservoir

Please note: the Showers Pass VelEau 42 hydration system is designed to fit a bike with at least 4 in. of exposed seat post and a saddle with standard rails

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rola643,
Thanks for looking and asking questions. First off, I liked the looks of the system and since I am not a racer thought it would be cool to have. It holds about the same as two bottles contains. I am 51 years old and to reach down for a bottle while in motion well, let's just say I worry about bending over and then maybe dropping the bottle upon trying to place it back into the cage. I have a spare tube, wrench tool, 2 tire tools, patch kit and 2 cylinders of Co2 with the piece to extract the Co2 for the tube. It is all in the bottom of the veleau in a compartment designed for extra things like that. I have had surgery on my wrist ( due to being struck by a car while riding my bicycle ) I had the surgery Friday and will be off my bike for a few more weeks so I will have to tell everyone how it works then. They ( Shower pass ) makes a cleaning kit for the system, which I didn't purchase yet. Only thing I am even concerned about at this time is the weight will be up high, instead of low. I will get used to it I'm sure so............... until I know more, keep looking. Thanks again!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I like the idea that it looks like it would be in the shade most of the time,wit my big a$$ and no bottle to drop allso. I would have to see what the compartment is like as I carry a lot in my under seat bag

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only way all the stuff in the pic will fit in the Veleau would be to take out the water container and leave it at home. lol lol Good grief man, that is a ton of supplies. :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
And at times over the years I have needed nearly everything he carries.:D I actually carry a bit more. I don't see a master link, a flashlight, extra batteries, an air gauge,, and there certainly isn't enough fig newtons on board. As far as the water system. I see it and I think of one word. It is the word by which I cycle by and that word is Fred. Then again if it works for you, what difference does it make.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
In the red pack is a masterlink, air gauge it part of my pump no flashlight but I don't ride at night and no no extra batteries. the light on my bike are for when it rains or gets a little fogy thay are be seen lights not lights to see with. As for the Fig Newtons I thing thay will get me going for a wile, 20 miles or so :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dig the newtons. Nice display of gear, i like to bring enough to get home by myself. How does the water taste through all that tubing?

·
1,355 Posts
The first time that I rode with Wild in the swamp we were about 4 or 5 miles from our starting point when I got a flat. We stopped and checked the tire, found nothing, replaced the tube pumped it up and continued on. Half a mile later it's flat again. This time we check closer. Wild sees a metal sliver in the tire like a strand from a cable or something. From his toolbag he brings out the smallest pair of channel lock pliers that I have ever seen and removes the sliver. On that day I was glad he has all of that stuff in his bag or it would have been a long walk for me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I carry a flashlight regardless. Late afternoon rides, if something goes wrong can often leads to an unintended night right. The batteries are for my headlights

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not had the chance to try the Veleau 42 out yet. I had surgery on my wrist ( from the August 2011bicycle accident ) on Jan. 20th. I will be down for a while. I will let you know when I test it out!

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
Looks interesting but I think I would feel more comfortable with a regular Camelback type system. I usually carry 2 Large bottles with just water in them. If I am on a real long ride, 100 miles or more. I carry the standard Camelback system as a backup water source and spare parts storage.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great point 54 and I usually carry 2 bottles almost anytime I ride. Never can tell what might happen and it's good to be ready. I have never used a Camelback, I suppose it's sort of different for a roadie. I am still a freshman at this cycling thing. :) Another thing, if I am on a 100 mile ride, it better be supported. or I'm in trouble anyway. I just thought this Veleau 42 was cool looking and it makes my bike look less busy, if that make sense, no bottle cages and bottles. You can tell I'm new, most old roadies could care less about looks so long as the bikes has everything. Thanks for looking and your reply.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Frankie old roadies just have already figured out what works for them and rarely change when something does work for them. Though not everyone would admit it, we almost all have bought something we thought looked cool. Some times they work, other times not so much. The experience old roadie usually just has a better story to tell why they do what they do. The might be true, or they might be as truthful as a politician running for re-election, but they all sound good. Yet you can usually learn something from them. As you ride more your stories will get better too, and you will have just as much fun telling them as the old timers have telling you theirs. Think about how much fun fishing would be if there were no lying in fishing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts