Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a biking fiasco for me this year so far. Finally getting back on track and my latest deal will be complete today. I have ended up with three sets of SRAM Force shifters, derailurs, and brake sets, a brand new Bontrager Race X Lite VR-C, carbon, 31.8mm handelbar, and a brand new still in the box Bontrager Affinity 2 saddle.

My ride came with a SRAM Force, 50/34 (compact) and it's ok but I miss my double.Sooooo, I made a deal with one of the mechanics to trade him a new SRAM Double 53/39 for a set of my shifters. It's a win win deal. I like having both cranks should I head out west and ride some real hills like Skyline drive. I would really love to ride that this fall but I just don't think I'll have the time this year unless I can do a long weekend thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The BRP is one of my favorite roads east of the Mississippi river. Have ridden most of it on my motorcycle and would love to do some of it on my bike.

·
717 Posts
Did some of the Sky line drive several years ago with a triple, it was brutal!

Will be on the BRP this Monday doing the Bike Virginia century...this time I'll be spinning Campy Chorus 53/39 front and a 11/23 rear...should be challenging.

Bought a cheap point and shoot camera last night so pics soon to follow if interested.

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did some of the Sky line drive several years ago with a triple, it was brutal!

Will be on the BRP this Monday doing the Bike Virginia century...this time I'll be spinning Campy Chorus 53/39 front and a 11/23 rear...should be challenging.

Bought a cheap point and shoot camera last night so pics soon to follow if interested.
Be sure to get some good shots so I know what I missed!

I looked VERY HARD at doing thatthis year! I just don't have enough vacation time..Just got back from Florida and headed to Texas in August for my folks 50th and N.C. the week of the 4th so I'm getting thin on time.

I would be afraid of the 11/23 out back on the BRP :eek:. I used one early this spring and the difference between the 11/26 and the 11/23 with the 53/39 was enough that I don't have the leg strength to spin (very well) that up a hill with 6% grade or better so back to the 26 I went.

In all honesty the compact is pretty nice buuuttt, I like what I get out of the double.

I have never priced any Campy stuff and don't know anyone that has it but I would like to try some day.

In the meantime I did pickup my new SRAM Force double today and Amazon came through and the chain was here when I got home today:D

Attachments

·
717 Posts
I have a friend who is comming out for just a single days ride...believe that those are still available? Should check it out, here's what the site says...

"Walk In Registrations

If you know someone that would like to join but who has not signed up, please let them know that walk in registrations will be accepted at Check-in on Friday June 24 from 2-8pm or Saturday from 6:00-9:00am. Walk in registrations are also accepted Sunday-Wednesday 6am-9:30am at the Hospitality Tent at Vendor Row in Tent City. Please note that walk in registrants may not be provided lunch."

In all my years of riding I've never modified any of my bikes, figure I just need to work harder (plus I'd probably screw it up!)...we'll see how that works for me. BTW I am not above walking it up the hills.

This will be our second BV tour, my wife and I did it together and last year she blew by me on a few climbs because she was afraid to unclip and walk!

I'm now thinking about skipping the Monday Century on the BRP but am totally commited on the Tuesday Century as there is a bit less climbing. The group I'm with, my wife, her brother and another couple from our neighborhood will not do it with me so I'd love to have some company out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts