Sidewalks?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by bikemaster, Sep 23, 2009.

1. bikemaster

bikemaster Guest

Can you ride motorized bikes on the sidewalk? Also how many cc's do they have to be before you need a license or insurance or plates to ride on the street?

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

In Austin your never allowed on the sidewalk.

3. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

In California, you aren't supposed to ride bikes on sidewalk, but a lot of people do, motorized bikes would be trouble though. In Nevada, things are different, you don't have to have a license to ride a motor scooter, like a moped, and people ride them everywhere, bike trails, roads, sidewalks everywhere. Interesting state Nevada, with interesting laws, kinda like the Old West never left.:thumbsup:

DrB

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Both questions would be much easier to answer if we knew where you lived.

It's very unlikely that it would be legal to ride on the sidewalks.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

But it raises a point, why should we not be allowed on the sidewalk? If your slower than traffic we should get out the way. I understand it's called a side "Walk" but still.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

While commuting, I ride on a mix of road, bike paths, and sidewalks. Technically, it's illegal to ride on sidewalks in Maryland. I still do it because in some areas, it's just too freakin' dangerous to ride on the road. I've never know anyone to get a ticket for riding on sidewalks.

The man may look the other way when it comes to bikes, but motorized vehicles is another matter.

7. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Good points Hophead, the some roads are just too dangerous with no space on shoulder for bikes, I also haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. I have the gkids ride on the sidewalk while I ride in street, if the man doesn't like that, give me the ticket every time. I do think they look the other way unless you are giving ped's trouble.

DrB

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I have, it happens in Austin all the time. I had a friend just a month ago get a $500 fine for it. It's nuts here.

9. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Bummer, that sucks!!!!!

Maybe you should find an attorney to bring a class action suit against city of Austin because of unsafe cycling conditions, maybe you could at least get something done!

Need to find an attorney who is a cycling fanatic like the rest of us. Just a thought....

DrB

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Austin is considered bike friendly. The issue lies with the poor layout of the city. During foot ball games for instance our population goes from 650,000 to over 1,500,000. Not to mention the majority of bike accesibility is on campus. The bulge in population makes everything difficult to navigate, and the sidewalks over flow. On game nights people walk in the streets because they have no choice. Terrible city planning.

11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

While working a job in Greeneville NC I learned that the motor powered bikes were considered bicycles in all aspects other than riding on the sidewalks. The bicycles could ride on the sidewalks but scooters up to 150cc and mopeds had to stay on the road. I was surprised at the number of scooters and mopeds down there until I learned that they were nicknamed "Liquorcycles" (pronounced liquor sickle). Under 150 cc didn't require a driver's license so when people get a DUI and lose their license they get a liquorcycle to get around.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That's awesome, I thought about buying one to cut down on gas, but I guess I should get one so I can all liquored up! TN sounds like heaven!

13. neicull

neicull Guest

in VA

In va... nothing but people are allowed on sidewalks. Bikes and motorized bikes have their own laws. Here's a link in regards to VA and some overall federal stuff. I compiled these sometime ago and not sure exactly how current they are.. But a quick google search can land you a lot of info on local legislation.

14. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I know I'm not allowed on the side walk. How is it that motored vehicles no matter how small the engine would be allowed?

15. Ykick

Ykick New Member

In most jurisdictions - kick/foot style bikes are generally sidewalk friendly and allowed to share walkways. No doubt intended for young children with small kick scooters but most of the laws I've read about this issue simply state "no pedal or gear powered" cycles or vehicles allowed on sidewalks.

The question begs - is 1000W direct drive hub motor a potential loophole for many of these ordinances? I'm no lawyer and I don't want to find out but what I have found is that kick scooters get very little, if any attention by authorities on sidewalks. Even my powered units - as long as I'm not acting a fool and endangering pedestrians all the while appearing to kick myself along. It's so very easy to simply step off and become a pedestrian in an instant. Straddling a bike not so easy, is it?

There's a company called Sidewalker that sells adult kick scooters as well as Kickbike, Footbike and Diggler all offer variations on the same theme. I'm in process of powering a 20" Sidewalker Willy and will post details as it comes together.

I've commuted NYC almost daily for 4 years using a Gooped ESR750ex. I'm building the electric Willy in an attempt to correct many of the defects and design flaws I've unfortunately discovered regularly using the ESR as a daily commuter.

Attached Files:

16. Green

Green Completely Human

The law in Florida is that motor vehicles are not allowed on sidewalks... period. Sidewalks are the strict domain of pedestrians and human powered vehicles. I think it is safe to assume that most states espouse similar views.