1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Because Batman :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Or maybe the question should be why not? Maybe I should ask single or fixie?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Why single speed? I ride both single speed and geared, but really love my single-speed road bike and have a single-speed 29er on order. Why?

There's something nice about the simplicity of one speed (this coming from someone who insists on driving a manual transmission car). The bike is always in the right gear, no thinking, no shifting. No gearing down to stop. No cross-chaining, no trimming. Just a simple, straight, tight drivetrain, which is low maintenance.

Good workout/Different workout: Especially nice that when I ride with my kids I can exercise my legs more with the single-speed. Even riding alone, single speed means standing more which stretches out my legs in a good way.

By all means keep your geared bike, but give single speed a try.

·
Registered
44 Posts
BeginnerCycling said:
Why single speed? I ride both single speed and geared, but really love my single-speed road bike and have a single-speed 29er on order. Why?

There's something nice about the simplicity of one speed (this coming from someone who insists on driving a manual transmission car). The bike is always in the right gear, no thinking, no shifting. No gearing down to stop. No cross-chaining, no trimming. Just a simple, straight, tight drivetrain, which is low maintenance.

Good workout/Different workout: Especially nice that when I ride with my kids I can exercise my legs more with the single-speed. Even riding alone, single speed means standing more which stretches out my legs in a good way.

By all means keep your geared bike, but give single speed a try.
I was an avid multi speed guy... Until I rode my first single speed/fixed gear. I never went back to a multi speed after that. It takes a lil getting used to at first. But the way you have to challenge yourself on hills and not having to worry about shifting just makes it sooooo worthwhile! Try out first. Ask you LBS to let try out a SS so you can see for yourself. I found that a lot of bike mechanics prefer a SS.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Less shite to break!

I broke the rear suspension of my full squish geared bike on a ride in December of 2004. My LBS kept getting the wrong parts. After the better part of a month passed, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to have something to ride.

One of my riding buddies occasionally rode a single speed. I thought it was kinda nuts, but I loved the simplicity of his one gear ride--no dangly bits to get torn off by rocks and no worries about what gear to be in. Just get on and ride!

I remember it was Monday January 17th because I was off work. It was Martin Luther King's birthday and the day that I would buy my first single speed. My LBS did not carry single speeds, so I drove 45 minutes to one that did. I left with a 2002 Bianchi DISS--One gear and no suspension except for the air in the tires.

It took me about week to get used to riding it. The Bianchi was geared 32:16 and thoroughly kicked my ass, but it was worth it. It made me a better much stronger rider.

Drink the Koolaid!!!

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
i ride one for shorter trips to lunch, etc, when I'm dealing with traffic, parking lots, etc. A bit more upright, and seems more nimble - or maybe I enter the "bike courier zone' when i'm on on it - not sure which. Either way, I enjoy it more on the short trips than getting on the road bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts