Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post here. I'm looking for advice on a dedicated single speed purchase. I've been riding an aluminum convert and am ready to move to a true single speed road bike. I am not wanting to go fixed and plan to use a freewheel solely. I am going back and forth between the Gravity Attack Track, and one one of the Windsor bikes (TimeLine, Hour, ClockWork). I am on an aluminum frame now (converted Windsor Dover) so I know what to expect from this frame material. The Windsors mentioned above are all 4130 frames, and I trust the name well enough. The Gravity is a name I am not familiar with. Has Gravity bikes been getting a good reputation? The bike mentioned also comes with a Kinesis carbon fork so that too is a bit of a bouns to me as I live in a moderately hilly area and would think the lighter weight (aluminum/carbon) would benefit over all steel... I'd appreciate any and all comments you all can give. Thanks.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
Thanks guys. The Hour is in my price range...

Hey Nigal - Is your location supposed to read Piqua (Ohio)?
Yeah, just north of Dayton. Where are you livin'?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nigal- I'm driving to Dublin Friday to get my stuff out of storage.. And hopefully my Stumpy will still be there!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
Oh did you live over there? What's a Stumpy?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, just north of Dayton. Where are you livin'?
I'm in West Liberty (about 45 min. directly east of Piqua), between Urbana and Bellefontaine. They've been talking about extending the Simon Kenton (or whatever it's called) trail from Urbana through Bellefontaine, but I'm still waiting for it.

Thanks for the tip on The Hour, Industry Hack. I have it narrowed down to it, the Gravity Attack, and the SST AL. I kind of wanted an aluminum / carbon setup, but just keep reading very good things about The Hour. I'm a on the bigger side, 6' - 185 lbs., and worry about The Hour's chromo frame being too flexy for me on out of the saddle climbs? I know I'm in central Ohio, but I'm in a pretty hilly part of central Ohio...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may find some flex in the frame, but not enough to worry about. And it would certainly be better than flexing an aluminum frame.
Thanks for the tip. I guess I'm basing my theory on what I've been reading online - that steel frames are not recommended for the heavier rider. Perhaps that theory is meant for those larger than myself.?? I've been riding an aluminum convert for the past few years with no troubles, so maybe my 185 lbs. is not flexing the frame much, and also might be fine on a 4130 frame...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time to throw a monkey wrench into the topic - I found that I can get an IRO Phoenix SS frame/fork on sale for $199 at Jensen USA. If I'm going to go the 4130 route, would the IRO be a better frame/fork than The Hour? I would think I could pick up a wheelset with the remaining $100 price difference of the two, and other than perhaps a bottom bracket, I believe I have enough spare parts to complete the build. Is the IRO that much better a frame over the Hour? Thanks for all the help with this everyone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tip DBB. I looked the Back Alley up and it looks like a very nice ride, however it is sadly out of my price range.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
I indeed did. I was an Ohio resident from 2007-2009. Stumpy= Specialized Stumpjumper
And might I ask what storage facility and unit number this Stumpy is in? I'll "check in on it" for ya. LOL!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
I'm in West Liberty (about 45 min. directly east of Piqua), between Urbana and Bellefontaine. They've been talking about extending the Simon Kenton (or whatever it's called) trail from Urbana through Bellefontaine, but I'm still waiting for it.
West Liberty is a nice town. I'm planning a trip in June where I ride to Urbana, get on the trail south and ride to CJ Brown (camp), then down to John Bryant (camp) then down to Ceasar's Creek 9camp) and then back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
West Liberty is a nice town. I'm planning a trip in June where I ride to Urbana, get on the trail south and ride to CJ Brown (camp), then down to John Bryant (camp) then down to Ceasar's Creek 9camp) and then back.
It's a small town but nice. The SK trail is a nice one. I've been down as far as Xenia on it and back. Pretty good hike you're talking about! John Bryan is a nice park/area. They have some mtb trails there as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, ended up getting the Windsor ClockWork, ordered it this morning. Just wanted to thank you all for the help!

·
"Cogito ergo sum"
7 Posts
Sweeet, new bike on the way ! Congrats...I love the look of the Raleigh One way, but I might go for the Rush hour, Fuji Feather or Classic track, as I will need to take the bike on the road with me in the truck. Every little bit of space and weight counts ! Have fun ! I would love to have the bike paths here that are in Ohio! Awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts