Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of doing research and not getting results.
The bike that I'm using for daily transportation got a problem. So, in the last high 3 speeds the chain skips(don't know if i describe it correctly). Hopefully you all understand what I am talking about. very annoying. The cassette doesn't seem to worn. I've done adjustments to the drail. ... Same. Should I shorten the chain or...?

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
When you are saying skips, does it shift from one cog to next and back on those last 3 cogs sometimes ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you are saying skips, does it shift from one cog to next and back on those last 3 cogs sometimes ?
Not necessarily, it makes an annoying noise and feeling. Feels like the chain slides over the teeth of the cog. Like it will skip couple or few teeth and then grab on again. that is what I think.

Approximately how many miles on the drivetrain?

Measure your chain for wear. How to at the bottom of this page, http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

I suspect your chain and cogs are worn and need replacement.
Very useful article, thanks. I measured, it's 1/8" past. which is bad. it got nearly couple thousand miles on it with not a good maintenance. And i found a missing tooth on one of the cogs while measuring. guess i need to head out to the bike shop)))

I've been riding daily for nearly a year and half now and recently became an enthusiast. One more thing, derailleur has kind of an open angle so the chain grabs only nearly a quarter of the cog.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
First I would take the rear derailer off the bike and clean it real good,I don't fell you can clean it good on the bike, you can leave it hooked to the shift cable. I use a tooth brush and simplel green rence good dry and lube then reinstall that would be the first thing I would do. I like Tryflow for lube by the way. I would say if you have a fue 1,000 miles on the chain you nead a new one. That is where I would start

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after looking at the parts i realized that they are ruined already. the draill. is the cheap one. it has only two screws to adjust hi and low gears.
thanks to everybody. very useful posts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts