Skyline Dr car free day!

Discussion in 'Virginia Bike Forum' started by rola643, Mar 2, 2017.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

This is sooooo awesome!

Luray, Virginia: On April 23, 2017 Shenandoah National Park will open the north district of Skyline Drive to non-motorized vehicles only to celebrate National ParkRx Day and National Park Week. During this event, Skyline Drive will be closed to motorized vehicles from the Front Royal Entrance Station at mile 0 to the Thornton Gap Entrance Station at mile 31.5. The rest of Skyline Drive will remain open to all vehicles. In honor of National Park Week, April 22 and 23 are fee-free days and all entrance fees into the park are waived.

“Ride the Drive” is a pilot event to promote opportunities for alternative modes of transportation and recreation, promote health and well-being, and enhance the visitor experience by providing an opportunity to access the Park in a unique way.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/learn/news...ve-car-free-day-in-north-district-of-park.htm

2. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

This may have to be placed on my radar. So far, it looks as if I'm not on call that weekend, I need to see my wife's "slice-n-dice" schedule, for her next operation. This is interesting

3. rola643

I would like to go as well. I would need to make some significant gearing changes I think . I am using a 53/39- 11/23 combo. I do have a SRAM compact crank and I think I would at least need a 12/28 or something to be comfortable to make that ride :)

4. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Sounds like a heck of a ride. I'd love to see some pics if either of you makes it.

5. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

When i lived near there I did that section, hills weren't too bad with my old triple in front but BUT the downhills were terrifying!

6. rola643

Well....dammit Scottie! Registred to be on a wait list.

Attached Files:

• reg.jpg
      reg.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views: