Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my question what would you use a type of Sleeping Pad's for Bike Touring/Bikepacking

I have been using the Therm a Rest Sleeping Pad since 1995 and I am
No longer I am using Thermarest sleeping pads and it is because the glue type older valves were hard to install never worked. And that go to the same thing with the newer Thermarest winglock Valves

I am now using the Sea to Summit Camp Plus SI self inflate sleeping pad 72X25X3 12lbs 11oz, reg wide, R-Value 4.3, packed 8X13.4in 75D for Stealth Bike Camping in Southern California. and I am looking at the Nemo Quasar 3D Insulated Air Sleeping pad, 72X25X3.5in

Note: I am using the Big Agnes Lost Dog sleeping bags 15° F and 30° F

OH BOY: I realy like my new Sea to Summit Camp Plus SI Sleeping Pad from REO Co-Op l9-17-2021 was the 1st night on my Sea to Summit Camp Plus SI Sleeping Pad. and this is after 2 Therm a Rest BaseCamp Sleeping Pad new Winglock valves failed on me
https://youtu.be/O9oy1Cm5LkE

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I watched the video about the Sea to Summit sleeping pad. It appears pretty darned sweet.

Prior research showed me that inflatable pads are often frowned upon because they can get holes and render them less than useful.

My family has three different foam pads. None of them are comfortable to me. They might provide some respite in some circumstances, but i found them less than ideal for a good nights sleep.

I have used a basic, blow up pad with considerable camping comfort on several occasions in the past two years.
So comfortable was I, that I’m convinced to find a higher quality camping specific unit in a full size for me and my Bride.

If the Summit offers this, I will be taking a close look at it.

·
tall old member
1,403 Posts
High quality blow up pads are hard to find. The self inflating ones are easy to find but not thick enough for these old bones. Finally found one on the web, don’t remember where, that was five years ago. I carried a small high volume hand pump in my trailer. If I wasn’t taking the trailer I’d probably use a small battery powered pump. It only took me minutes to blow it up and I got a good nights sleep out of it every night.

·
Old, fat, and slow
964 Posts
Thoroughly tired of faulty Therma-Rests myself.

However is that "Sea to Summit Camp Plus SI self inflate sleeping pad 72X25X3 12lbs 11oz," really Twelve Pounds? I could take a framed hammocks for that kind of weight. (I will look it up myself just to see .... not going to make you check.) Okay ... Two pounds, ten ounces. Cool. I might have to own one of these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts